POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My own raytracer, need some docs... : Re: My own raytracer, need some docs... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:04:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My own raytracer, need some docs...
From: Warp
Date: 18 Aug 2000 04:31:52
Message: <399cf478@news.povray.org>
Perhaps instead of doing it the hard way (ie. program your own raytracer,
which probably won't be any better than povray), you could just try to
optimize your scene for povray.

  If povray spends ages calculating light buffers (and that's what is filling
up the memory), try turning them off. The rendering may be slower, but if
it was the actual problem, it will render, which is the goal. You can also
try with the vista buffers as well (although I don't know if it will be of
any help).

  If your scene has many identical groups of cylinders (the only difference
between the groups being the transformations (scale, rotate, translate)
applied to them) you could try replacing the cylinders of one of these group
with equivalent smooth triangle meshes (making a #declared identifier of them).
When you make copies of this mesh (and transform the copies) they will take
a lot less memory. The bigger the group of cylinders and the more the copies
of the group, the better (ie. more memory saved).

  If your texture doesn't have to be transformed with the cylinder (but is,
for example, just a plain color), don't texture each cylinder separately,
but make a union of all the cylinders in the scene and texture it just once.