POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : metal without ambient and r2d2 Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  metal without ambient and r2d2 (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: ryan constantine
Subject: metal without ambient and r2d2
Date: 20 Jul 2000 04:54:04
Message: <3976BA97.A450157C@yahoo.com>
because it was recommended in the docs (3.1 or mega, i can't recall
which) that when using radiosity one should not have ambient objects, i
try to develop all of my textures with this in mind.  in a cursory
examination of the metals available in both pov and moray, i found that
all of them had an ambient value.  so the question is how does one make
metal without it?  does anyone have some examples, great or small, that
you wouldn't mind sharing?

and for anyone interested, i just made a single pov-only texture for the
blue on r2d2's "head".  it renders just as fast as anything else, but
you should see the listing.  using "proper" indentation and line usage
it would print to at least 3 pages long i think.  i've got a couple more
head items to model tonight and i'll start on the body tomorrow.  unlike
my xwing, not everything will animate; only the head, the holo-projector
things, the legs and the third leg.  that'll be version 1.  and i still
wasn't able to find a completely front-on view.  i have one, but his
head is turned a little.  i'd like it centered so i can get his 'eye
box' angles right.  i also have a 'drawing' but i'm sure you all know
how accurate that can be.

Post a reply to this message

ryan constantine <rco### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
: because it was recommended in the docs (3.1 or mega, i can't recall
: which) that when using radiosity one should not have ambient objects, i
: try to develop all of my textures with this in mind.

  Precisely in megapov. If you set ambient to 0 in povray 3.1, you will get
no radiosity at all. This has been changed in megapov.

:  in a cursory
: examination of the metals available in both pov and moray, i found that
: all of them had an ambient value.  so the question is how does one make
: metal without it?

  Just removing the ambient value perhaps?

> examination of the metals available in both pov and moray, i found that
> all of them had an ambient value.  so the question is how does one make
> metal without it?

If you want no ambient light in all the scene, just use ambient_light
0.0 in your global_settings statement.

Bouf.

Post a reply to this message