POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Already converted DEM files Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Already converted DEM files (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Re: Already converted DEM files
Date: 14 Apr 2000 19:09:29
Message: <38f7a529@news.povray.org>
No help maybe but here's URLs to the two programs mentioned there at the gtopo30
web page.
http://www.esri.com/software/arcview/index.html
http://www.esri.com/software/arcinfo/index.html

I think it just comes down to the change in data format.
See the section 5.0 here in the readme:
http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/gtopo30/README.html#h15

Bob

| So, is there a way I can convert this 'simple binary raster format' ? With
| Photoshop 5 maybe.
| I have to say that I have never heard of this file format.
|
| If anyone knows if/how it can be converted. I tried to open it as a RAW  file
with
| different options, but all I get is a blurry image.
|

| Thanks
|

| > Check out the FAQ there, this type of DEM is not ASCII.
| > http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/gtopo30_faq.html
| >
| > Bob

| > |
| > | I read the readme file, but it does not say how to handle the files.
| > |
| > |
| > | I have the feeling that the DEM file is not a proper one ( The DEM
extension
| > | is not correct here).
| > |
| > | I downloaded the file from :
| > | http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/gtopo30/gtopo30.html
| > |

Post a reply to this message

From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 15 Apr 2000 10:16:24
Message: <38F87A0E.B6C3F910@aetec.ee>
OK,

I have to admit, that this was error in my code, after all. It was this
infamous and old trick: "opening-binary-files-in-text-mode", which from
time to time tortures those programmers who code in MS-DOS. Now it
should work OK, so virtual trip to Hawaii (and around the world) is
possible. I've uploaded new version to binaries.utilities. Note, that it
has different options now (e.g. scaling is not performed by default).

Post a reply to this message

> So, is there a way I can convert this 'simple binary raster format' ? With
> Photoshop 5 maybe.
> I have to say that I have never heard of this file format.
>
> If anyone knows if/how it can be converted. I tried to open it as a RAW > file with
> different options, but all I get is a blurry image.

Have you tried my coverter? I've uploaded new version to
binaries.utilities, which converts those files to POV-Ray .TGA
heightfield format.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 15 Apr 2000 10:25:25
Message: <38F87AB4.ADE8CCA9@pacbell.net>
Vahur Krouverk wrote:

> OK,
>
> I have to admit, that this was error in my code, after all. It was this
> infamous and old trick: "opening-binary-files-in-text-mode", which from
> time to time tortures those programmers who code in MS-DOS. Now it
> should work OK, so virtual trip to Hawaii (and around the world) is
> possible. I've uploaded new version to binaries.utilities. Note, that it
> has different options now (e.g. scaling is not performed by default).

OK,

 I tried it on Hawaii again and (I really hate to tell you this) the
results were worse than with your original utility. Before I could
at least see the islands now they are skewed all over the place. In
the areas were there is no height data in the .dem file are ok but
anywhere there is height date it's all messed up.

:(

From: D  Masnéri
Date: 15 Apr 2000 10:29:25
Message: <38F87D11.842E7EA1@planete.net>

> So, is there a way I can convert this 'simple binary raster format' ? With
> Photoshop 5 maybe.
> I have to say that I have never heard of this file format.

I had the same problems with files from the server you mentioned.
To open it with Photoshop, do the following :
- with a text editor, open one of the small files (don't remeber the extension),
where you'll find the number of raws and columns;
- open the first large file with PhotoShop, as "raw", and enter the dimensions you
found in the small file.

If you can't do it, tell me and I'll redo the openings to tell you exactly how to
procced.

Post a reply to this message

From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 15 Apr 2000 11:11:57
Message: <38F88711.BB946A1E@aetec.ee>
Ken wrote:

> OK,
>
>  I tried it on Hawaii again and (I really hate to tell you this) the
> results were worse than with your original utility. Before I could
> at least see the islands now they are skewed all over the place. In
> the areas were there is no height data in the .dem file are ok but
> anywhere there is height date it's all messed up.
>
> :(

DUH!
Yes, this was worse version... I've cancelled message and posted again
version, which should be better. Sorry.

Post a reply to this message

From: Fabien Hénon
Date: 15 Apr 2000 16:52:03
Message: <38F8D66D.FC4C66EA@club-internet.fr>
Yes, I tried to convert it with your utility, but it crashes and says :

Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV
General Protection Fault at eip=00002758.....

The file I downloaded is the western part of Africa called W020N40_tar.gz, just in
case....

> > So, is there a way I can convert this 'simple binary raster format' ? With
> > Photoshop 5 maybe.
> > I have to say that I have never heard of this file format.
> >
> > If anyone knows if/how it can be converted. I tried to open it as a RAW > file
with
> > different options, but all I get is a blurry image.
> >
> Have you tried my coverter? I've uploaded new version to
> binaries.utilities, which converts those files to POV-Ray .TGA
> heightfield format.

Post a reply to this message

From: Fabien Hénon
Date: 16 Apr 2000 17:00:58
Message: <38FA29F2.C77CD7D3@club-internet.fr>
I managed to find a file that read 6000 x 4800 ( width and height)

I tried to open the file with Photoshop as a RAW file with all the possibilities I
could think of, and none of them works..

Thanks if you can help.

> > So, is there a way I can convert this 'simple binary raster format' ? With
> > Photoshop 5 maybe.
> > I have to say that I have never heard of this file format.
>
> I had the same problems with files from the server you mentioned.
> To open it with Photoshop, do the following :
> - with a text editor, open one of the small files (don't remeber the extension),
> where you'll find the number of raws and columns;
> - open the first large file with PhotoShop, as "raw", and enter the dimensions you
> found in the small file.
>
> If you can't do it, tell me and I'll redo the openings to tell you exactly how to
> procced.

Post a reply to this message

From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 17 Apr 2000 05:39:12
Message: <38FADC15.A96EE408@aetec.ee>

> Yes, I tried to convert it with your utility, but it crashes and says :
>
> Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV
> General Protection Fault at eip=00002758.....
>
> The file I downloaded is the western part of Africa called W020N40_tar.gz, just in
> case....

What operating system are you using? Win95,
98, NT, 2000? What processor? Did you convert whole dem file or part of
it? What options did you use? Does program outputs something before
crashing? Map file shows, that this address belongs to memory allocation
subroutine, do you have enough resources in case of 9x?
Was it new version or did you used old version?

P.S. I found, that my program does not convert negative values
correctly. I'd like to hear opinions, how they should be converted? One
option is to assign minimum value (i.e. maximum negative value) to level
0
and raise all other points with respect to it.
But this means that sea level will be above zero level and it
could produce problems with sea rendering: it will
be hard to determine correct value for sea color map, even if program
will
output sea level value. Is there other options?

Post a reply to this message

From: David Vincent-Jones
Date: 19 Apr 2000 17:23:18
Message: <38fe23c6@news.povray.org>
'MicroDEM' is a very easy way to extract and initially display most forms of
DEM data.

I have used it with great success with the same format materials.

Provides an easy way to preview the scene, and make a fly through. Data can
then be saved as .bmp.

DVJ