POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Already converted DEM files : Re: Already converted DEM files Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Already converted DEM files
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 17 Apr 2000 05:39:12
Message: <38FADC15.A96EE408@aetec.ee>

> Yes, I tried to convert it with your utility, but it crashes and says :
>
> Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV
> General Protection Fault at eip=00002758.....
>
> The file I downloaded is the western part of Africa called W020N40_tar.gz, just in
> case....

What operating system are you using? Win95,
98, NT, 2000? What processor? Did you convert whole dem file or part of
it? What options did you use? Does program outputs something before
crashing? Map file shows, that this address belongs to memory allocation
subroutine, do you have enough resources in case of 9x?
Was it new version or did you used old version?

P.S. I found, that my program does not convert negative values
correctly. I'd like to hear opinions, how they should be converted? One
option is to assign minimum value (i.e. maximum negative value) to level
0
and raise all other points with respect to it.
But this means that sea level will be above zero level and it
could produce problems with sea rendering: it will
be hard to determine correct value for sea color map, even if program
will
output sea level value. Is there other options?