POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interest in POV-Ray distribution system? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Interest in POV-Ray distribution system? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Jon A  Cruz
Subject: Interest in POV-Ray distribution system?
Date: 12 Aug 1999 01:25:48
Message: <37B25B55.9C47EE4B@geocities.com>
I was sitting here trying to get motivate to get this done, and I was
wondering if anyone out there would really be interested in it?

I'm doing the initial client and a rough server in Java. I have
prototype tests working on Windows and Linux at the moment. So, are
there any people who could actually use this once it's in shape for a
public beta? I'm going to be putting it to use for the IMP, but I would
like to help others if possible.

The system is designed to work in WAN/Internet type settings first of
all, but should work fine on a LAN for a local render farm as well.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

Post a reply to this message

> I was sitting here trying to get motivate to get this done, and I was
> wondering if anyone out there would really be interested in it?
>
> I'm doing the initial client and a rough server in Java. I have
> prototype tests working on Windows and Linux at the moment. So, are
> there any people who could actually use this once it's in shape for a
> public beta? I'm going to be putting it to use for the IMP, but I would
> like to help others if possible.
>
> The system is designed to work in WAN/Internet type settings first of
> all, but should work fine on a LAN for a local render farm as well.
>
> --
> "My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
> But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

How would it work exactly. I don't mean from a programmers veiw point
but rather as a group of people hooked up to the system from remote
locations. Would the combined power from all of the computers online
be used to render one scene or could multiple sessions be running at
one time and the task shared evenly for all those connected or ?

  Pardon my ignorance of such things but I am curious to know and I am
sure other lurkers out there might be interested in the details as well.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

> I was sitting here trying to get motivate to get this done, and I was
> wondering if anyone out there would really be interested in it?
>
> I'm doing the initial client and a rough server in Java. I have
> prototype tests working on Windows and Linux at the moment. So, are
> there any people who could actually use this once it's in shape for a
> public beta? I'm going to be putting it to use for the IMP, but I would
> like to help others if possible.
>
> The system is designed to work in WAN/Internet type settings first of
> all, but should work fine on a LAN for a local render farm as well.
>
> --
> "My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
> But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

I would set up a LAN for it.
(come to think of it: if it isn't too expensive I'd like to have some chickens
and a pig or cow for my render farm too...)

Regards,

Remco

Post a reply to this message