POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Compressed meshes and morphing Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:33:10 EDT (-0400)
  Compressed meshes and morphing (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Martin Magnusson
Subject: Compressed meshes and morphing
Date: 11 May 1999 17:45:24
Message: <373896e4.0@news.povray.org>
I'm having big troubles with the include files for compressed meshes and
morphing.

First of all, I find it very difficult to make two meshes with the same
number of triangles. I have an sPatch model which I export to DXF and then I
use Crossroads to convert it to a POV mesh. As soon as I change anything in
the sPatch file the number of triangles in the final file changes, even when
I tried just translating the objecy a little bit in the x direction. Does
anyone know of a better way to convert sPatch models to files that can be
morphed in some way?

Then, when I try to morph the files (so far I've only managed to make the
macro accept morphing to and from the same mesh) it looks good when the
"morphing number" is 0 or 1 (i e the first and final frame of the morph).
The frames in between are more or less distorted, mostly at 0.5.

Also, POV-ray halts and says that IntWeight2 in PCMMORPH.MCR is undeclared,
so for now I replaced it with 1.

Has anyone else had problems with this? I could upload the files if it would
help.

--
Martin Magnusson
e-mail: Mar### [at] studentuuse

Post a reply to this message

> I'm having big troubles with the include files for compressed meshes and
> morphing.
>
> First of all, I find it very difficult to make two meshes with the same
> number of triangles. I have an sPatch model which I export to DXF and then I
> use Crossroads to convert it to a POV mesh. As soon as I change anything in
> the sPatch file the number of triangles in the final file changes, even when
> I tried just translating the objecy a little bit in the x direction. Does
> anyone know of a better way to convert sPatch models to files that can be
> morphed in some way?
>
> Then, when I try to morph the files (so far I've only managed to make the
> macro accept morphing to and from the same mesh) it looks good when the
> "morphing number" is 0 or 1 (i e the first and final frame of the morph).
> The frames in between are more or less distorted, mostly at 0.5.
>
> Also, POV-ray halts and says that IntWeight2 in PCMMORPH.MCR is undeclared,
> so for now I replaced it with 1.
>
> Has anyone else had problems with this? I could upload the files if it would
> help.
>
> --
> Martin Magnusson
> e-mail: Mar### [at] studentuuse
> www-site: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/9946/

  So far I have only worked with the hair growing aspect of the compressed
mesh macro file. Since the macros are so new I really doubt you are going to
find anyone around who could consider themselves expert on the subject. I
suggest you contact Chris directly with your questions as he is the person
who could probably answer them with any real authority.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message