POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Compressed meshes and morphing : Re: Compressed meshes and morphing Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compressed meshes and morphing
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 18 May 1999 21:21:24
Message: <37420404.0@news.povray.org>
Cliff Bowman wrote in message <3741b828.171001100@news.povray.org>...

>Would that be reflection or refraction? Not that I can help either way
>(although might a "rough" shiny surface blurr reflection somewhat?)

A surface with very fine bumpyness would give burred
reflections/refractions. However, you need _very_ high sampling rates (AA)
to eliminate noise. And this can't be done locally (on the reflecting
surface), so it has to be done all over the image. BIG render times. I've
tried.
A patched version by Wyzard does blurry reflections, the patch is also
included in the Superpatch. Blurry refraction (and transparency in general)
could be implemented the same way, but hasn't been (yet).

Margus