POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Compressed meshes and morphing : Re: Compressed meshes and morphing Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compressed meshes and morphing
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 16 May 1999 10:15:48
Message: <373ea898.130214754@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 May 1999 22:45:18 +0200, "Martin Magnusson"
<ama### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:

>I'm having big troubles with the include files for compressed meshes and
>morphing.
>
>First of all, I find it very difficult to make two meshes with the same
>number of triangles. I have an sPatch model which I export to DXF and then I
>use Crossroads to convert it to a POV mesh. As soon as I change anything in
>the sPatch file the number of triangles in the final file changes, even when
>I tried just translating the objecy a little bit in the x direction. Does
>anyone know of a better way to convert sPatch models to files that can be
>morphed in some way?

Well the exporting from sPatch to .DXF is almost certainly where the
problem lies. sPatch exports a POV type include file based in the
patches you physically design - but when it creates a .DXF it has to
"approximate" (so when the shape changes the number of triangles it
has to create to remain faithful to the new shape is likely to be
different - even for a fairly small change).

IIRC Chris has recently released a version of his macro which will
work with bicubic patches - get the update and export your model right
from sPatch to POV. Hopefully that'll work better :)

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/7855/
PS change ".duffnet" to ".net" if replying via e-mail