POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to make a rock wall texture Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  How to make a rock wall texture (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Tim Soderstrom
Subject: How to make a rock wall texture
Date: 21 Feb 1999 00:30:51
Message: <36CF998E.AA21A826@sitc.net>
Currently I am in the process of making a scene with a chess board on a
table, with two chairs, and a lamp (among other things) inside of a
small cottage. I have a window next to the ChessBoard on the wall. The
problem is that Pov-Ray does not have any pattern for rock (while it
does have brick) and I want to make a rock type of house and want to
know if there is a fairly easy way of doing it.

I thought of adding turbulence to the brick to get a rocky appearence,
but I haven't tried it yet because I wanted your opinions.

Also,  if there is a tutorial on making good wood surfaces, I'd like to
see it....

Any help would be greatly apreciated!

Tim Soderstrom

Post a reply to this message

Check out the stones2.inc textures.  Something like that could look like
small stones cobbled together.

I've used a "crackle" pattern for an eggshell, and for dried mud flats.  In
the eggshell I used the crackle (random tiled polygons) with transparent
areas so the inside showed through; use the same thing for a layered texture
so the morter shows up along the lines.

--John

Tim Soderstrom wrote in message <36CF998E.AA21A826@sitc.net>...
>Currently I am in the process of making a scene with a chess board on a
>table, with two chairs, and a lamp (among other things) inside of a
>small cottage. I have a window next to the ChessBoard on the wall. The
>problem is that Pov-Ray does not have any pattern for rock (while it
>does have brick) and I want to make a rock type of house and want to
>know if there is a fairly easy way of doing it.
>
>I thought of adding turbulence to the brick to get a rocky appearence,
>but I haven't tried it yet because I wanted your opinions.
>
>Also,  if there is a tutorial on making good wood surfaces, I'd like to
>see it....
>
>Any help would be greatly apreciated!
>
>Tim Soderstrom

Post a reply to this message