POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to make a rock wall texture : Re: How to make a rock wall texture Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to make a rock wall texture
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 21 Feb 1999 21:49:06
Message: <36d0c5a2.0@news.povray.org>
The images I'm talking about can be found at
http://www.dlugosz.com/Artwork/gallary_1.html .  Specifically, I'm thinking
of egg1.9 for the specific tequnique, and the ground of soap1 for what it
might do.

Tim Soderstrom wrote in message <36D054E5.9DD11087@sitc.net>...

>Thanks for the help - I could benefit from reading the docs about texturing
>(well and using Normal patterns for that matter). On that note, what you
say
>sounds like it would work perfectly, except the stones won't appear to be
>sticking out if I put a texture over a rock texture. I was thinking to
solve
>that problem of creating a normal map on the rock (first texture). The only
>normal map I've used is ripples, so, would I just use the same pigment
>parameters for the normal section of the texture?

Years ago, there was a file called "Brick Kit" which said to use an image
map for the wall/floor (examples were brick wall and parquet floor), and
then using manipulation in a paint program create a bump map from the same
image.  I suppose a height field would be better if the edge showed of if
read 3-D were necessary for whatever reason.

So, in 3.1 can arbitrary patterns be used as a heightfield or bump map?  I
think the Superpatch has something like that for sure.

My idea is to use a "crackle" function to generate a texture layer that has
morter and transparent spots for the stones.  Put a stone texture under
that.  Use the same function to make the stones stick out.

If that's too complex, do it in multiple steps and wind up with an image map
and matching heightfield.

--John