POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : hypothetical question... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  hypothetical question... (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: Kyle
Subject: hypothetical question...
Date: 2 Feb 1999 14:41:24
Message: <36B754E9.5C926C7D@geocities.com>
I was just wondering.....what would it be like to have a realtime,
doom-style game with a POVray based rendering engine....?  Obviously,
this wouldn't be very possible (speed-wise) on today's machines, but at
the rate technology is advancing.....
	How fast do you think computers would have to be in order to run a game
like this at reasonable speed...say 15-20 fps?  Would it even be
possible?
	Kyle

Post a reply to this message

Depends on the effects you'd use. Antialiasing? Atmosphere? Halos?
Radiosity? Recommended system: 500GHz Mercred V, 100 GB holographic memory
etc... Oh, and a fast bus, too.
But seriously, raytracing was never intended for such an application. Other
methods give results much more suitable for games. And anyway, why
speculate? Just wait and see.

Margus

Kyle wrote in message <36B754E9.5C926C7D@geocities.com>...
>I was just wondering.....what would it be like to have a realtime,
>doom-style game with a POVray based rendering engine....?  Obviously,
>this wouldn't be very possible (speed-wise) on today's machines, but at
>the rate technology is advancing.....
> How fast do you think computers would have to be in order to run a game
>like this at reasonable speed...say 15-20 fps?  Would it even be
>possible?
> Kyle

Post a reply to this message

Oh, I know raytracing wasn't intended for that, but if we had the
computing power for it to be possible, why not do it?  It'd be much more
realistic looking than anything else that I can imagine.  I was just
wondering how much computing power that would be.
	For Effects, I'd say... Antialiasing .3 and Atmosphere,Radiosity,media
= yes
Anyone have a clue?
		Kyle

Margus Ramst wrote:

> Depends on the effects you'd use. Antialiasing? Atmosphere? Halos?
> Radiosity? Recommended system: 500GHz Mercred V, 100 GB holographic memory
> etc... Oh, and a fast bus, too.
> But seriously, raytracing was never intended for such an application. Other
> methods give results much more suitable for games. And anyway, why
> speculate? Just wait and see.
>
> Margus
>
> Kyle wrote in message <36B754E9.5C926C7D@geocities.com>...
> >I was just wondering.....what would it be like to have a realtime,
> >doom-style game with a POVray based rendering engine....?  Obviously,
> >this wouldn't be very possible (speed-wise) on today's machines, but at
> >the rate technology is advancing.....
> > How fast do you think computers would have to be in order to run a game
> >like this at reasonable speed...say 15-20 fps?  Would it even be
> >possible?
> > Kyle

Post a reply to this message