POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : hypothetical question... : Re: hypothetical question... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hypothetical question...
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 2 Feb 1999 16:36:58
Message: <36b76ffa.0@news.povray.org>
There was a post here somewhere by somebody (sorry... memory failing... need
more coffee...) that gave a good overview of the existing rendering
techniques.
Basically, scanline uses Z-buffering to sort polygons by their distance from
the viewpoint. Rendering is fast, but reflections/refractions and many other
things can't be done directly; instead they have to be "mapped" onto objects
and this is not very precise. The two methods can be used together (3DSMax,
for example).

Margus