POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Planetary Heightfields: Now what? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:26:04 EDT (-0400)
  Planetary Heightfields: Now what? (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Jed Reynolds
Subject: Re: bump_maps [Re: Planetary Heightfields: Now what?]
Date: 27 Sep 1998 16:56:18
Message: <360E9950.AC78B049@pacbell.net>
Dan Connelly wrote:

> I had no problem seeing features.... but I suggest
> the following changes :
>
> 1. The map field is defined from y=0 to y=1.  You want
>    y=-1 to y=+1.  Therefore you need to apply a translation
>    and a scale.

oh, I didn't seem to notice that. The bumpmaps are pretty
ragged, so I didn't notice. Thanks.

> 2. specify a finish.

I found that
finish {
        	ambient .15
		diffuse .5
		phong .07
	}

works pretty well.

> 3. Your filename is different than the one you posted (jbrp.0.pgm).
>    This may be an issue.

you know, I was so excited to be posting the a newsgroup for the
first time in years I wasn't paying any attention. Sorry :-)

> 4. "interpolate 2" should almost always be used with bump maps
>    to prevent pixellization artifacts.

I didn't seem to notice a lot of difference between interpolate 2
and interpolate 4, but I did notice the difference between 0 an {2,4}.

> Consider the following scene :

hrm...lemme quickly render and see...

wow, I commented out the translation line and I quickly
see what you mean about the map location! I didn't notice it
in mine because I rotated them about 45deg.

Now why did I put a "phong" shading in mine when I
should have been using "specular"...Hrm. It sharpens it quite
a bit. I like the effect when roughness in increased as well.

--
# Jed Reynolds, mailto:jed### [at] surfsoftcom http://www.surfsoft.com/~jed
# "...I've seen the old geeks talk to the young geeks, and they speak

Post a reply to this message

> > 4. "interpolate 2" should almost always be used with bump maps
> >    to prevent pixellization artifacts.
>
> I didn't seem to notice a lot of difference between interpolate 2
> and interpolate 4, but I did notice the difference between 0 an {2,4}.

Bilinear interpolation is a pretty standard scheme, so I always
use it... I haven't investigated normalized distance, so can't
comment on the speed/quality tradeoffs.

> > Consider the following scene :
> Now why did I put a "phong" shading in mine when I
> should have been using "specular"...Hrm. It sharpens it quite
> a bit. I like the effect when roughness in increased as well.

Don't take my choice too seriously..... some folks use Phong
and others specular.  I choose the former because the docs
claim it is more realistic, but I can't claim this is an
otherwise educated preference.

Anyone care to comment?

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/

Post a reply to this message

I posted a couple of nice pictures about my planets and
a brief explanation of how I made them.

http://www.scruz.net/~hed/pub/pov_planets/

pretty fun for a weekend render session, I'd say.

--jed

--
# Jed Reynolds, mailto:jed### [at] surfsoftcom http://www.surfsoft.com/~jed
# "...I've seen the old geeks talk to the young geeks, and they speak
# the same language. There's no age gap or anything." --Steve Wozniak

Post a reply to this message

> > Now why did I put a "phong" shading in mine when I
> > should have been using "specular"...Hrm. It sharpens it quite
> > a bit. I like the effect when roughness in increased as well.
>
> Don't take my choice too seriously..... some folks use Phong
> and others specular.  I choose the former because the docs
> claim it is more realistic, but I can't claim this is an
> otherwise educated preference.
>
> Anyone care to comment?
>
> Dan

I generaly will use specular over phong in my scenes too.
Phong seems to me to make the highlights too large.
There are exeptions to this, of course, but it takes experimentaion
to decide when one is better than the other.

Ken

Post a reply to this message

> > Don't take my choice too seriously..... some folks use Phong
> > and others specular.  I choose the former because the docs
> > claim it is more realistic, but I can't claim this is an
> > otherwise educated preference.
>
> I generaly will use specular over phong in my scenes too.
> Phong seems to me to make the highlights too large.
> There are exeptions to this, of course, but it takes experimentaion
> to decide when one is better than the other.

Whoops!  Ken fortunately saw through my typo.  I should
have said I choose the "latter" (ie specular).

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/

Post a reply to this message