POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Planetary Heightfields: Now what? : Re: bump_maps, Phong, specular Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bump_maps, Phong, specular
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 27 Sep 1998 17:28:29
Message: <360E9FEA.CB3A7D81@flash.net>
Jed Reynolds wrote:
> > 4. "interpolate 2" should almost always be used with bump maps
> >    to prevent pixellization artifacts.
>
> I didn't seem to notice a lot of difference between interpolate 2
> and interpolate 4, but I did notice the difference between 0 an {2,4}.

Bilinear interpolation is a pretty standard scheme, so I always
use it... I haven't investigated normalized distance, so can't
comment on the speed/quality tradeoffs.

> > Consider the following scene :
> Now why did I put a "phong" shading in mine when I
> should have been using "specular"...Hrm. It sharpens it quite
> a bit. I like the effect when roughness in increased as well.

Don't take my choice too seriously..... some folks use Phong
and others specular.  I choose the former because the docs
claim it is more realistic, but I can't claim this is an
otherwise educated preference.

Anyone care to comment?

Dan

--