POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows Setup design Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:37:28 EDT (-0400)
  Windows Setup design (Message 11 to 20 of 33)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Windows Setup design
Date: 28 Jul 2010 03:24:41
Message: <4c4fdb39$1@news.povray.org>
>> My Documents!).  One obvious example is software licensing, if an
>> organisation needs to track the licenses of all installed software for
>> audits then POV is going to slip through the net and cause problems.
>
> POV-Ray is installed into the users profile folder. This is as far as I
> could tell the best solution for a non-privileged user on Vista.

Sure, if your goal is to try and somehow allow installation without Admin
rights, rather than comply with the MS guidelines for software.  I am just
trying to understand your reasoning why POV should be different from
standard software.

> I see many programs that install without admin rights.

That is not approved by MS though (hence they won't pass the Windows Logo
tests, binaries won't be protected, it could go all screwy if the user
profile is on a network resource, the installer might not work with future
Windows updates/versions, etc).  OOC where do these other programs put the
binaries?

Post a reply to this message