POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows Setup design : Re: Windows Setup design Server Time
2 Jul 2024 09:40:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows Setup design
From: Chris Cason
Date: 28 Jul 2010 06:35:29
Message: <4c5007f1@news.povray.org>
On 28/07/2010 20:01, scott wrote:
> Obviously msi installers can install software without admin rights (as POV
> does), so such a document won't exist.  However to install to the correct
> location (Program Files) it seems you do need admin rights, which is why
> normally when you install a program without admin rights it asks you for
> them.

Yes, and as Microsoft recommends (in fact, *pushes*) authors to write
installers that do NOT require admin rights, POV-Ray chooses to install
outside of program files by default.

> wish to become one), I am just a user who is wondering why POV feels the
> need to be different to other installers.  Why can't it just install
> "normally" like every other piece of software I use?

Your prior comments implying we were assisting users in bypassing corporate
security restrictions seemed to me to be more than a user who was wondering
about the install location. You were outright rude.

Many programs to this day still stick with the old program files location,
even if it means getting a UAC prompt. One of the most hated features of
Vista was the constant unneeded UAC prompts. We chose to create an
installer that was UAC-prompt free. It installs smoothly and without
hassle. In other words, it gives the *majority* of users a better experience.

If, however, a user wishes to install the 3.7 beta to \program files, they
are quite welcome to. It's simple:

  Run it without elevation and it defaults to the user profile dir.
  [This makes sense as they can't install to program files.]

  Run it with elevation and they are offered an option to install as one
  user or for all users. If they choose all users, it installs to
  \program files.
  [This make sense since as an elevated install, they are given the option]

I don't see why this is so much of an issue to you. If you don't like the
place it installs, why not run it with elevation and be done with it,
instead of whining here and accusing us of nefarious intentions?

-- Chris