POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows Setup design : Re: Windows Setup design Server Time
2 Jul 2024 09:41:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows Setup design
From: Chris Cason
Date: 28 Jul 2010 04:46:48
Message: <4c4fee78@news.povray.org>
On 28/07/2010 17:24, scott wrote:
>> POV-Ray is installed into the users profile folder. This is as far as I
>> could tell the best solution for a non-privileged user on Vista.
>
> Sure, if your goal is to try and somehow allow installation without
> Admin rights, rather than comply with the MS guidelines for software.  I
> am just

Your statement is both offensive and also completely wrong. You do not
understand Windows installation, yet you pretend you do. You seem to have
the bizarre idea that only Admins should have the right to install software
on a Windows computer, and that software that allows otherwise is somehow
an attempt to 'bypass the rules'.

I challenge you to find a *current* Microsoft installation standard that
states that users without admin rights *may not install software at all*.

In the process, you will find the opposite: that Microsoft has made
significant effort to ensure that non-admins *can* install software,
subject to the group policy set by the admin.

> trying to understand your reasoning why POV should be different from
> standard software.

Aside from perhaps the exact choice of installation location, POV-Ray is
installed using the correct MSI-based procedure, which as I pointed out in
my previous message (which you completely ignored), subjects it to the
complete control of the system administrator via group policy.

Please read up on installation standards before implying that our group is
intentionally trying to allow users to sabotage corporate computer systems
by facilitating unauthorized installations.

-- Chris