POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows Setup design : Re: Windows Setup design Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows Setup design
From: scott
Date: 28 Jul 2010 07:43:07
Message: <4c5017cb$1@news.povray.org>
> Your prior comments implying we were assisting users in bypassing
> corporate
> security restrictions seemed to me to be more than a user who was
> wondering
> about the install location. You were outright rude.

Sorry if it appeared rude, it wasn't my intent, my comments were in response
to the post about allowing students to bypass security restrictions and
people installing it in their lunch hour.

>  Run it without elevation and it defaults to the user profile dir.
>  [This makes sense as they can't install to program files.]

Is this recommended from MS?  Other programs seem to ask for admin rights if
you run them as non-admin.

>  Run it with elevation and they are offered an option to install as one
>  user or for all users. If they choose all users, it installs to
>  \program files.
>  [This make sense since as an elevated install, they are given the option]

Any reason why the default isn't in to program files in this case?

> I don't see why this is so much of an issue to you.

Just trying to understand why POV feels the need to be different to what
most people have grown to expect.