POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Optional way to handle #include files? Server Time
28 Jun 2024 02:45:59 EDT (-0400)
  Optional way to handle #include files? (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: stbenge
Subject: Optional way to handle #include files?
Date: 29 Jul 2010 16:50:49
Message: <4c51e9a9$1@news.povray.org>
Just thought I'd get some feedback before writing up a feature request.
Right now, accessing functions and macros from an included file can be
*slow*. It's not so bad when you're only accessing something once or
twice, it's when you request something too many times.

As an example, if I trace() an object and place 5000 particles and using
Point_At_Trans to orient them, the scene will take 6.672 seconds to
parse when I include transforms.inc. If I copy all the necessary macros
and don't include anything, it takes only 1.297 seconds to parse.

It would be nice if you could include files, or objects within certain
files, as if they existed inside the scene itself, not as other files,
if that makes any sense. Something like:

  #include  "transforms.inc"  into_scene

or:

  #make_local  Point_At_Trans()

would be nice. What do you think? Would this kind of functionality be
worth it?

Sam

Post a reply to this message