POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Optional way to handle #include files? : Re: Optional way to handle #include files? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:30:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optional way to handle #include files?
From: Warp
Date: 30 Jul 2010 04:04:33
Message: <4c528791@news.povray.org>
> On 30/07/2010 16:41, Warp wrote:
> >   (Besides, if POV-Ray handles macros as filename-offset pairs, wouldn't
> > modifying the file in the SDL break that? If the file is modified via SDL,

> Yes, that's how it's done. Technically, though, as long as the file offset
> remained the same, it would still work.

> We could I suppose have a "fast_macro" keyword which is explicitly defined
> as being cached in memory. But none of us have the time to write this ATM.

  I don't see a reason why regular macros cannot be cached in memory.
I doubt anyone has ever used such a contrived way of generating new macros
on-the-fly as the current method allows (which, as stated, is quite limited
as the beginning of the macro in the file must remain unchanged).

> Feel up to a challenge? :-)

  I seem to remember that a patch has existed which does this. I wonder if
something could be learned from it.

--
                                                          - Warp