POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV 3.7 beta 31 slow with mesh objects Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:04:35 EDT (-0400)
  POV 3.7 beta 31 slow with mesh objects (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Vaclav Cermak
Subject: POV 3.7 beta 31 slow with mesh objects
Date: 21 Mar 2009 13:19:59
Message: <49c521bf$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

  I tested scene with mesh objects with many triangles and POV 3.7 beta
on two cores renders it slower than old single threaded MegaPOV.

  Test scene with statistics files from MegaPOV and POV 3.7 beta are on

  http://devel.disnel.com/pov3.7-test

  it is rad_test04. Mesh objects are with unnecessary high detail to
demonstrate the problem. Rad_test 02 and 03 are without meshes and 3.7
beta is mush faster than MegaPOV with them, as expected.

Vaclav

Post a reply to this message

>  I tested scene with mesh objects with many triangles and POV 3.7 beta
> on two cores renders it slower than old single threaded MegaPOV.

>  it is rad_test04. Mesh objects are with unnecessary high detail to
> demonstrate the problem. Rad_test 02 and 03 are without meshes and 3.7
> beta is mush faster than MegaPOV with them, as expected.

How did you conclude from a scene using radiosity that meshes are slower?

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

>>  I tested scene with mesh objects with many triangles and POV 3.7 beta
>> on two cores renders it slower than old single threaded MegaPOV.
>
>>  it is rad_test04. Mesh objects are with unnecessary high detail to
>> demonstrate the problem. Rad_test 02 and 03 are without meshes and 3.7
>> beta is mush faster than MegaPOV with them, as expected.
>
> How did you conclude from a scene using radiosity that meshes are slower?
>
>     Thorsten

With scenes without meshes is POV 3.7 mush faster than MegaPov, with
scenes with mesh objects is slower (much slower). From this I conclude,
that there is some problem with mesh objects. I don't conclude anything
about radiosity, I just use it nearly in all my renders and I used it in
test renders as well. I may try it with radiosity switched off, if it helps.

Vaclav

Post a reply to this message

Vaclav Cermak <dis### [at] disnelcom> wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich napsal(a):
> > Vaclav Cermak wrote:
> >>  I tested scene with mesh objects with many triangles and POV 3.7 beta
> >> on two cores renders it slower than old single threaded MegaPOV.
> >
> >>  it is rad_test04. Mesh objects are with unnecessary high detail to
> >> demonstrate the problem. Rad_test 02 and 03 are without meshes and 3.7
> >> beta is mush faster than MegaPOV with them, as expected.

Hello.

I assume that this is:

  *recursion_limit 2*

Currently, a recursion_limit > 1 slows the rendering of the scene compared to
POV-Ray 3.6.
This, because the algorithm of radiosity is under investigation.

> test renders as well. I may try it with radiosity switched off, if it helps.

try!
;-)

--
Carlo

Post a reply to this message

Vaclav Cermak <dis### [at] disnelcom> wrote:
> With scenes without meshes is POV 3.7 mush faster than MegaPov, with
> scenes with mesh objects is slower (much slower). From this I conclude,
> that there is some problem with mesh objects. I don't conclude anything
> about radiosity, I just use it nearly in all my renders and I used it in
> test renders as well. I may try it with radiosity switched off, if it helps.

I assume we're talking about smooth meshes (i.e. mesh with smooth_triangle
elements, or mesh2 with normal vectors).

Can you do tests with "flat" meshes as well for reference?

Some of the changes I made to the radiosity code might have affected sample
density (and hence render time) on objects with pertubed normals (like smooth
meshes).

Post a reply to this message