POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV 3.7 beta 31 slow with mesh objects : Re: POV 3.7 beta 31 slow with mesh objects Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:34:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.7 beta 31 slow with mesh objects
From: clipka
Date: 22 Mar 2009 11:10:00
Message: <web.49c653edcd11f9a79b04cb930@news.povray.org>
Vaclav Cermak <dis### [at] disnelcom> wrote:
>   Test scene with statistics files from MegaPOV and POV 3.7 beta are on
>
>   http://devel.disnel.com/pov3.7-test
>
>   it is rad_test04. Mesh objects are with unnecessary high detail to
> demonstrate the problem. Rad_test 02 and 03 are without meshes and 3.7
> beta is mush faster than MegaPOV with them, as expected.

I took the liberty to add rad_test02 and rad_test04 to the portfolio of scenes I
use for benchmarking radiosity code changes. The 01 and 03 scenes asked for
additional include files which I did not find on the devel.disnel.com.

So far, tests with various variations to the radiosity code indicate that the
slowdown is in fact highly radiosity-related.

I expect future versions of POV-Ray to still require more CPU time for the
scenes than MegaPOV, but once again render faster in terms of "wall clock" time
even on a DualCore.