POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV 3.7 beta 31 slow with mesh objects : Re: POV 3.7 beta 31 slow with mesh objects Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:38:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.7 beta 31 slow with mesh objects
From: clipka
Date: 22 Mar 2009 08:20:00
Message: <web.49c62be4cd11f9a79b04cb930@news.povray.org>
Vaclav Cermak <dis### [at] disnelcom> wrote:
> With scenes without meshes is POV 3.7 mush faster than MegaPov, with
> scenes with mesh objects is slower (much slower). From this I conclude,
> that there is some problem with mesh objects. I don't conclude anything
> about radiosity, I just use it nearly in all my renders and I used it in
> test renders as well. I may try it with radiosity switched off, if it helps.

I assume we're talking about smooth meshes (i.e. mesh with smooth_triangle
elements, or mesh2 with normal vectors).

Can you do tests with "flat" meshes as well for reference?

Some of the changes I made to the radiosity code might have affected sample
density (and hence render time) on objects with pertubed normals (like smooth
meshes).