POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : problems linking to boost libraries (linux) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  problems linking to boost libraries (linux) (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: CShake
Subject: problems linking to boost libraries (linux)
Date: 1 Mar 2009 20:50:02
Message: <49ab3b4a$1@news.povray.org>
I tried to compile the most recent unix source today (the package and
source are both b29 even though the main beta page says the source is
for 31), and can't seem to get it the configure script to find the boost
libraries.
I'm running a fully updated ArchLinux system, and I installed boost 1.37
from the official package manager, and configure failed at checking for
exit in boost_thread-lboost_thread.
I then installed boost 1.38 from source, (after removing it with the
package manager), and got the same error. I tried the config option
'--with-boost-thread=libboost_thread_gcc43-mt' because that is the name
of the library on my system, but it still doesn't work.
Do I need to have the location of the libraries in my $PATH or
something? They are all in the standard /usr/local/lib/, so I didn't
expect it to be weird.

Thanks for any help!
Chris

(I can provide a config.log file if needed, but won't put it inline here)

Post a reply to this message

CShake <cshake+pov### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I'm running a fully updated ArchLinux system, and I installed boost 1.37
> from the official package manager, and configure failed at checking for
> exit in boost_thread-lboost_thread.
> I then installed boost 1.38 from source, (after removing it with the
> package manager), and got the same error. I tried the config option
> '--with-boost-thread=libboost_thread_gcc43-mt' because that is the name
> of the library on my system, but it still doesn't work.

Did you verify that POV's ./configure script can locate all the boost header
files?

Post a reply to this message

> CShake <cshake+pov### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> I'm running a fully updated ArchLinux system, and I installed boost 1.37
>> from the official package manager, and configure failed at checking for
>> exit in boost_thread-lboost_thread.
>> I then installed boost 1.38 from source, (after removing it with the
>> package manager), and got the same error. I tried the config option
>> '--with-boost-thread=libboost_thread_gcc43-mt' because that is the name
>> of the library on my system, but it still doesn't work.
>
> Did you verify that POV's ./configure script can locate all the boost header
> files?

I assume it can find the headers, since it's installed in the standard
location (/usr/local/lib/) and a few lines above the error it shows
"checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... yes".

I also tried to build it with just the boost source,
(--with-boost-src=/home/cshake/Downloads/boost_1_38_0/) and ./configure
works fine, but make dies saying
"*** No rule to make target
'/home/cshake/Downloads/boost_1_38_0/libs/thread/src/barrier.cpp',
needed by 'barrier.o'. Stop".
I looked at that folder and there is no such file 'barrier.cpp' in that
folder or any subfolder, so I am confused.

Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: SÅ‚awomir Szczyrba
Date: 2 Mar 2009 09:05:26
Message: <slrn.gqnptb.962.steev@hot.pl>
(CShake) :

> I then installed boost 1.38 from source, (after removing it with the
> package manager), and got the same error. I tried the config option
> '--with-boost-thread=libboost_thread_gcc43-mt' because that is the name
> of the library on my system, but it still doesn't work.

try '--with-boost-thread=boost_thread_gcc43-mt'

> Chris

Regards,
Slawek
--
  ________
_/ __/ __/ Zenon Sienkiewicz skrzywdzil Justyne z dwu stron.

Post a reply to this message

From: CShake
Date: 2 Mar 2009 11:19:44
Message: <49ac0720$1@news.povray.org>

> (CShake) :
>
>> I then installed boost 1.38 from source, (after removing it with the
>> package manager), and got the same error. I tried the config option
>> '--with-boost-thread=libboost_thread_gcc43-mt' because that is the name
>> of the library on my system, but it still doesn't work.
>>
> try '--with-boost-thread=boost_thread_gcc43-mt'
>
>> Chris
>
> Regards,
> Slawek

Thanks, that works for boost.

Now it is throwing errors on zlib,
"checking whether to use the ZLIB library... yes
checking for library containing zlibVersion... -lz
checking zlib.h usability... yes
checking zlib.h presence... yes
checking for zlib.h... yes
checking for libz version >= 1.2.1... unknown
configure: error: cannot find a suitable ZLIB library"

I know I have zlib 1.2.3 installed, and I tried
'--with-zlib=/usr/include/' (where zlib.h is) and --with-zlib=/var/lib/'
(where libz.so is), neither of which work.

I don't usually have problems compiling anything, boost configured fine
and everything else I run from source has worked (once dependencies are
installed)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 2 Mar 2009 13:00:54
Message: <49ac1ed6@news.povray.org>
"CShake" <cshake+pov### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

> I know I have zlib 1.2.3 installed, and I tried
> '--with-zlib=/usr/include/' (where zlib.h is) and --with-zlib=/var/lib/'
> (where libz.so is), neither of which work.

Is Zlib installed as shared lib? I forget the configure switch I used to
install as shared lib. The rest of my install (LAMP server) went fine after
I did this, so mabye it's worth looking into.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 3 Mar 2009 09:21:49
Message: <49ad3cfd@news.povray.org>
CShake wrote:
> I know I have zlib 1.2.3 installed, and I tried
> '--with-zlib=/usr/include/' (where zlib.h is) and --with-zlib=/var/lib/'
> (where libz.so is), neither of which work.

Ah those are tricky paths. When you give --with-zlib=/somewhere, it will
search for includes in /somewhere/include and for the library
in /somewhere/lib. I don't know what to do if you have one in /var and
another in /usr... Symlinks?

Post a reply to this message

From: CShake
Date: 3 Mar 2009 21:04:20
Message: <49ade1a4$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> CShake wrote:
>> I know I have zlib 1.2.3 installed, and I tried
>> '--with-zlib=/usr/include/' (where zlib.h is) and --with-zlib=/var/lib/'
>> (where libz.so is), neither of which work.
>
> Ah those are tricky paths. When you give --with-zlib=/somewhere, it will
> search for includes in /somewhere/include and for the library
> in /somewhere/lib. I don't know what to do if you have one in /var and
> another in /usr... Symlinks?

Oops, I looked again and the /var/lib tree was the package manager temp
files, not the installed. libz.so and libz.a are in /usr/lib as well. I
tried --with-zlib=/usr/ [with and without the trailing slash], with the
same results.
I may just give up for now and wait for the next official build of the
beta, I just hoped to use my file/web server box for long renders, since
it's got a decent dual-core CPU.

@Jim - ZLib is a shared library, libz.so.1.2.3.3 is the main file, and
libz.so.1 and libz.so are both symlinks to it. libz.a also exists in
/usr/lib
Did you need to use extra switches to install ZLib as shared, or to
install povray using shared libs?

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 4 Mar 2009 06:01:53
Message: <49ae5fa1@news.povray.org>
> @Jim - ZLib is a shared library, libz.so.1.2.3.3 is the main file, and
> libz.so.1 and libz.so are both symlinks to it. libz.a also exists in
> /usr/lib
> Did you need to use extra switches to install ZLib as shared, or to
> install povray using shared libs?

My apologies if I've confused the issue .....

My Zlib problem was not related to installing the POV-Ray application (beta
or otherwise).

My problem was with installing ImageMagik on my LAMP server. Like you I
thought I had Zlib installed just fine and tried several things until I hit
upon the --shared switch (configure) and just thought it was worth a shot
offering that idea to the discussion.

Good Luck!

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: SÅ‚awomir Szczyrba
Date: 8 Mar 2009 15:40:43
Message: <slrn.gr87pr.6hv.steev@hot.pl>
Klik-klik-klik... To CShake pisze :

> Now it is throwing errors on zlib,
> "checking whether to use the ZLIB library... yes
> checking for library containing zlibVersion... -lz
> checking zlib.h usability... yes
> checking zlib.h presence... yes
> checking for zlib.h... yes
> checking for libz version >= 1.2.1... unknown

Is zlib-devel installed?

--
  ________