POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : problems linking to boost libraries (linux) : Re: problems linking to boost libraries (linux) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:33:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: problems linking to boost libraries (linux)
From: CShake
Date: 3 Mar 2009 21:04:20
Message: <49ade1a4$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> CShake wrote:
>> I know I have zlib 1.2.3 installed, and I tried
>> '--with-zlib=/usr/include/' (where zlib.h is) and --with-zlib=/var/lib/'
>> (where libz.so is), neither of which work.
>
> Ah those are tricky paths. When you give --with-zlib=/somewhere, it will
> search for includes in /somewhere/include and for the library
> in /somewhere/lib. I don't know what to do if you have one in /var and
> another in /usr... Symlinks?

Oops, I looked again and the /var/lib tree was the package manager temp
files, not the installed. libz.so and libz.a are in /usr/lib as well. I
tried --with-zlib=/usr/ [with and without the trailing slash], with the
same results.
I may just give up for now and wait for the next official build of the
beta, I just hoped to use my file/web server box for long renders, since
it's got a decent dual-core CPU.

@Jim - ZLib is a shared library, libz.so.1.2.3.3 is the main file, and
libz.so.1 and libz.so are both symlinks to it. libz.a also exists in
/usr/lib
Did you need to use extra switches to install ZLib as shared, or to
install povray using shared libs?