POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Differential rotation, splines, dispersion Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Differential rotation, splines, dispersion (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Gilles ADAM
Subject: Differential rotation, splines, dispersion
Date: 2 Jun 1999 05:03:48
Message: <3754DE78.8173C14A@obs.univ-lyon1.fr>
Hello...

1 - I use PoV 3.1 to model various astronomical phenomena (animations
to be soon on the WEB...), and general physics phenomena for education.
I recently modelled (artist's view only, as only a rough sketch
of the physical processes is available !)
the central parts of an active nucleus galaxy (the thing with a black
hole in the center), made it rotate, and so on. Nice, but it rotates as
a solid
object, which is wrong. Does anybody know of a way of "warping"
continuously the "spiral" texture to make it rotate faster in the
central
parts than in the outer parts ? I searched a lot in the (excellent)
in-line doc, with no success...  Maybe I missed something...

2 - I am going to try to write an external program computing a B-spline
approximation to a set of points ( two sets in fact, one for the camera,

the other for the "flying object" ) The best way I know so far is using
PCG2.21 (Patrick's Curve Generator), which takes as input the clock
variable
and a spline.dat ASCII file containing the knots of the path, and
outputs
an ASCII file wtih a set of #declare. The whole thing is invoqued via a
Pre_Frame_Command in the .ini file. This is the structure which is
planned for the code I am about to write. But the PGC program does not
compute the local curvature and twist of the 3D spline, which are needed
compute the "correct" attitude of the plane, and cannot compute two
distinct
spline approximations on two data sets for the same clock value.
The "spline" add-on from Chris Colefax is not well suited for multiple
knot
splines, as you must give all the control points to be used for all the
knots;
or did I miss something ?
I tried AnimSys, too, but the "plane" attitude is not computed from the
fly path shape, just given a priori.
Before engaging further into  development, I would like to know
if anybody heard about something addressing this problem...
It should have been solved by all the people working in the flight
simulation
area...

3 - I used (before switching to the last release of PoV for Windows) the

dispersion patch. I was able to render all kinds of gems, to demonstrate

refraction into complex objects during physics courses. Great, but I was

not able to obtain a spectrum-like patch of light on a screen following
a glass ball, although I got nice effects in the ball itself.
Is that normal, or just a matter of wrong code ?
I tried to disperse light through a prism, and get a spectrum on a
screen :
no result...

Many thanks to the fabulous POV team !

Gilles AdamObservatoire de Lyon
69561 Saint Genis Laval cedex
France
ga### [at] obsuniv-lyon1fr

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)

I can help out with the 3rd thing anyway. Use UVPov Alpha 5, which has
been recently updated; it's a custom version of POV-Ray by Nathan Kopp. It
can cast light through objects and produce a spectral dispersion. URL is:

 http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

There are certain things you may need to know about using it that may be
found in the newsgroups povray.unofficial.patches and povray.general if
you search for uvpov or photons. Or just ask any questions there if having
a problem.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe

I'm going to post a "slipping" spiral mpg animation at the
binaries.animations group and the script used to make it at
text.scene-files too (several minutes from now). It's a obvious cheat to
get the spiral to slip past itself at 3 distinct radii. Maybe completely
useless or maybe a way to fake it depending on what exactly is needed. The
main textures could be anything really.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe

The way NASA animates galaxies is to animate each star independantly.
Perhaps you could do something similar by using 10 or 20 concentric rings
instead of millions of points.

steve

Gilles ADAM wrote:

> [...]
> I tried AnimSys, too, but the "plane" attitude is not computed from the
> fly path shape, just given a priori.
> Before engaging further into  development, I would like to know
> if anybody heard about something addressing this problem...
> It should have been solved by all the people working in the flight
> simulation
> area...
>
> 3 - I used (before switching to the last release of PoV for Windows) the
>
> dispersion patch. I was able to render all kinds of gems, to demonstrate
>
> refraction into complex objects during physics courses. Great, but I was
>
> not able to obtain a spectrum-like patch of light on a screen following
> a glass ball, although I got nice effects in the ball itself.
> Is that normal, or just a matter of wrong code ?
> I tried to disperse light through a prism, and get a spectrum on a

Post a reply to this message

For the knot problem, have you looked at Knot 3.7? It is a 3D knot design
software that also animates. I have it on the Mac, don't know if it's on
other platforms. It's a fascinating and very well done application. I can
send you some samples if you'd like.

[Image]
steve

Gilles ADAM wrote:

> [...]
> I tried AnimSys, too, but the "plane" attitude is not computed from the
> fly path shape, just given a priori.
> Before engaging further into  development, I would like to know
> if anybody heard about something addressing this problem...
> It should have been solved by all the people working in the flight
> simulation
> area...
>
> 3 - I used (before switching to the last release of PoV for Windows) the
>
> dispersion patch. I was able to render all kinds of gems, to demonstrate
>
> refraction into complex objects during physics courses. Great, but I was
>
> not able to obtain a spectrum-like patch of light on a screen following
> a glass ball, although I got nice effects in the ball itself.
> Is that normal, or just a matter of wrong code ?
> I tried to disperse light through a prism, and get a spectrum on a

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (4 KB) Download '/system%20drive/temporary%20items/nsmail8.jpg' (7 KB)

Preview of image '/system%20drive/temporary%20items/nsmail8.jpg'
/system%20drive/temporary%20items/nsmail8.jpg

> I'm going to post a "slipping" spiral mpg animation at the
> binaries.animations group and the script used to make it at
> text.scene-files too (several minutes from now). It's a obvious cheat to
> get the spiral to slip past itself at 3 distinct radii. Maybe completely
> useless or maybe a way to fake it depending on what exactly is needed. The
> main textures could be anything really.
>
> Bob Hughes wrote:
> >
> > I can help out with the 3rd thing anyway. Use UVPov Alpha 5, which has
> > been recently updated; it's a custom version of POV-Ray by Nathan Kopp. It
> > can cast light through objects and produce a spectral dispersion. URL is:
> >
> >  http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm
> >
> > There are certain things you may need to know about using it that may be
> > found in the newsgroups povray.unofficial.patches and povray.general if
> > you search for uvpov or photons. Or just ask any questions there if having
> > a problem.

Sorry for beeing so long to reply : a stupid news client problem,
here...
I tried the slipping spiral, and definitely learned some useful things !
But visually, it does fit, as it introduces a visible break in the
spiral arms.
It may not be too difficult to introduce a "variable spiral warp" as a
texture
modifier, but this is beyond my knowledge as a C programmer; putting my
fingers
into POV Ray code, o My God !
I downloaded UV-POV, and it sure will cure my rainbow problem. I did not
realized
that it was able to "replace" the dispersion patch as well...
Gilles
For the spline problem, see the reply to Steve

Post a reply to this message