POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Differential rotation, splines, dispersion : Re: Differential rotation, splines, dispersion Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differential rotation, splines, dispersion
From: Gilles Adam
Date: 1 Jul 1999 11:53:46
Message: <377B92CC.C4F6B380@obs.univ-lyon1.fr>
Bob wrote:

> I'm going to post a "slipping" spiral mpg animation at the
> binaries.animations group and the script used to make it at
> text.scene-files too (several minutes from now). It's a obvious cheat to
> get the spiral to slip past itself at 3 distinct radii. Maybe completely
> useless or maybe a way to fake it depending on what exactly is needed. The
> main textures could be anything really.
>
> Bob Hughes wrote:
> >
> > I can help out with the 3rd thing anyway. Use UVPov Alpha 5, which has
> > been recently updated; it's a custom version of POV-Ray by Nathan Kopp. It
> > can cast light through objects and produce a spectral dispersion. URL is:
> >
> >  http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm
> >
> > There are certain things you may need to know about using it that may be
> > found in the newsgroups povray.unofficial.patches and povray.general if
> > you search for uvpov or photons. Or just ask any questions there if having
> > a problem.

Sorry for beeing so long to reply : a stupid news client problem,
here...
I tried the slipping spiral, and definitely learned some useful things !
But visually, it does fit, as it introduces a visible break in the
spiral arms.
It may not be too difficult to introduce a "variable spiral warp" as a
texture
modifier, but this is beyond my knowledge as a C programmer; putting my
fingers
into POV Ray code, o My God !
I downloaded UV-POV, and it sure will cure my rainbow problem. I did not
realized
that it was able to "replace" the dispersion patch as well...
Gilles
For the spline problem, see the reply to Steve