POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Differential rotation, splines, dispersion : Re: Differential rotation, splines, dispersion Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differential rotation, splines, dispersion
From: Gilles Adam
Date: 1 Jul 1999 12:20:47
Message: <377B9928.3764C3D2@obs.univ-lyon1.fr>
Steve wrote:

> For the knot problem, have you looked at Knot 3.7? It is a 3D knot
> design software that also animates. I have it on the Mac, don't know
> if it's on other platforms. It's a fascinating and very well done
> application. I can send you some samples if you'd like.
>
> steve

Hi

Sorry for the late reply, delayed by a news client problem here...

I do not know KNOTS 3.7, and I am going to search the WEB for that.
Looks
interesting, for sure.
In the mean time, I developped a POV macro, from the basic equations of
cubic
splines. I shall put int on this server as soon as it works fully.
As of July 1st, it computes correctly the flight path, the speed vector,
but fails to roll the plane the correct angle. So the F14 is doing some
strange uncontrolled
aerobatics. I think I am going to  give up taking into
account the plane speed, and compute the roll only from the curvature
radius...
Or maybe not, according to my lazyness ! Not simple, car the "speed" is
not easy to define, when dynamical effects are to be taken into
account... I shall cheat...
O yes, I am going to cheat...
Back to knots 3.7, on this server there is an interesting torspline.inc
macro
file which do something in the same spirit : "dressing" a spline with
torus sections smoothly connected. Very nice job from Ron Parker.

Gilles