POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Differential rotation, splines, dispersion : Re: Differential rotation, splines, dispersion Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Differential rotation, splines, dispersion
From: Gilles Adam
Date: 1 Jul 1999 12:05:32
Message: <377B9595.BF148322@obs.univ-lyon1.fr>
Steve wrote:

> The way NASA animates galaxies is to animate each star independantly.
> Perhaps you could do something similar by using 10 or 20 concentric rings
> instead of millions of points.
>
> steve

Hello...
Sorry for beeing so late : we encountered a news client problem, here...
what you suggest (animating separately a lot of particles)
can definitely be done, but I should then animate small blobs of 'smoke"
embedded into a foggy medium, starting maybe with a spiral distribution.
But I am afraid of the rendering time. I am -as anybody after the
checkered floor
phase- trying to render
the "best naturally looking high resolution earth from space", and came
something I like, with a rendering time in the 30 minutes range on my
K6-233,
if I remember well... Then I decided to add the atmosphere, with
Rayleigh
diffusion, and the time expanded immediately to 2h30. So, I am cautious
about playing with media/interior/scattering and so on...
That is why my "black hole environment" is a texture, not a 3D object, I
confess...
But maybe I am wrong. Someday I shall try that for a galaxy, with a few
thousands
of individual stars; just for fun; just for a few minutes, maybe...

Gilles