POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radius-of-curvature map? Server Time
21 Jun 2024 16:32:52 EDT (-0400)
  Radius-of-curvature map? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Radius-of-curvature map?
Date: 15 Feb 2011 21:50:00
Message: <web.4d5b3b3f4775816734d207310@news.povray.org>
Of course there is no native thingy in povray that allows you to assign colors
based on radius of curvature. So things with small radius of curvature could be
black and large white.  But is there any way within SDL to simulate this?

I was starting thinking along the lines of slope in pigment_maps, and
translating averaged pigments, but only got so far with this.  Any ideas?

Post a reply to this message

> Of course there is no native thingy in povray that allows you to assign colors
> based on radius of curvature. So things with small radius of curvature could be
> black and large white.  But is there any way within SDL to simulate this?
>
> I was starting thinking along the lines of slope in pigment_maps, and
> translating averaged pigments, but only got so far with this.  Any ideas?

Noe that I know of. Proximity maps possibly come closest to what you're
thinking of.

Post a reply to this message

> > Of course there is no native thingy in povray that allows you to assign colors
> > based on radius of curvature. So things with small radius of curvature could be
> > black and large white.  But is there any way within SDL to simulate this?
> >
> > I was starting thinking along the lines of slope in pigment_maps, and
> > translating averaged pigments, but only got so far with this.  Any ideas?
>
> Noe that I know of. Proximity maps possibly come closest to what you're
> thinking of.

Thanks.  Just for my education, what happens when you translate a slope map? My
experience is "nothing", and understanding why would help me understand the
inner workings of the function.  I was hoping it would be like "the slope of the
model at a [vector V] away", but it wasn't.   thanks.  As I'm typing, I think I
should re-read section on warps!

Post a reply to this message