POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radius-of-curvature map? : Re: Radius-of-curvature map? Server Time
27 Jun 2024 13:52:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radius-of-curvature map?
From: gregjohn
Date: 27 Feb 2011 07:20:00
Message: <web.4d6a4163d5c21e7934d207310@news.povray.org>

> The slope pattern is not a true 3D pattern - it is only defined on the
> surface of an object (after all it needs a normal vector); so it doesn't
> make sense to move it around separately from the object. Instead, the
> slope pattern always "sticks" to the object it is applied to, as far as
> translations go. (Note however that the slope pattern's "up" vector
> stays fixed all the while.)

Just making sure I understand the "not make sense."  It could be either
geometrically indeterminate or a massive coding headache to enable, I'm not able
to say. But artistically there could be cases were allowance of warps/
transforms to the slope pattern could be very useful.  One application was in
making a radius of curvature texture for applying high and low values of SSS.