POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radius-of-curvature map? : Re: Radius-of-curvature map? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 06:13:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radius-of-curvature map?
From: clipka
Date: 16 Feb 2011 10:30:02
Message: <4d5bed7a@news.povray.org>
Am 16.02.2011 13:25, schrieb gregjohn:

> Thanks.  Just for my education, what happens when you translate a slope map? My
> experience is "nothing", and understanding why would help me understand the
> inner workings of the function.  I was hoping it would be like "the slope of the
> model at a [vector V] away", but it wasn't.   thanks.  As I'm typing, I think I
> should re-read section on warps!

I guess you're talking about the slope pattern, not slope maps for
normal pertubation.

The slope pattern is not a true 3D pattern - it is only defined on the
surface of an object (after all it needs a normal vector); so it doesn't
make sense to move it around separately from the object. Instead, the
slope pattern always "sticks" to the object it is applied to, as far as
translations go. (Note however that the slope pattern's "up" vector
stays fixed all the while.)

The same goes for the aoi pattern, by the way.