POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Re: SeaShell Plugin Server Time
24 Jun 2024 07:59:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SeaShell Plugin (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: leseur sylvain
Subject: Re: SeaShell Plugin
Date: 12 Jun 2003 04:37:12
Message: <3ee83bb8$1@news.povray.org>

3ee83702$1@news.povray.org...
> In article <3ee47417@news.povray.org> , "SYLVAIN LESEUR" <sle### [at] freefr>
> wrote:
>
> > Some pictures with SeaShell
> > Sylvain
>
> Please do not post binary attachments in non-binary groups.  For details,
> please read:
>
> Newsgroups: povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions
> Subject: Welcome To The POV-Ray News Groups
> Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 11:28:42 -0700
>
> Thanks,
>
>     Thorsten
OK Sorry
Sylvain

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Jun 2003 04:16:16
Message: <3eec2b50@news.povray.org>
Some comments below. Priority order given:

"Philippe_Gibone" <Ph.### [at] wanadoofr> schreef in bericht
> Version 2, 3... : (in the order you'll suggest)
> The ability to define different steps for the wireframe and the rendering
==> Priority 5.
> To have a smaller resolution around the bumps ==> hm. Not ested. Priority
somewhere in th middle I guess.
> uv_mapping texturing ==> Yes, this would be nice. Priority 1. Also with
exterior and interior texture definition possibility. Most shells in nature
are pearly white on the inside, while coloured on the outside.
> Texture using the mesh2 capabilities ==> Yes, absolutely! Priority 2. Now
it gives an error in POV.
> New functions for the structural curve ==> Priority 3.

> New functions for the waves ==> Priority 6.

Cheers,

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Jun 2003 04:20:26
Message: <3eec2c4a@news.povray.org>
Philippe,
What I forgot to suggest, was to include also (if possible) some predefined
textures like those from Sylvain, which are excellent ones and good starting
points to define ones own.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Philippe Gibone
Date: 15 Jun 2003 06:42:18
Message: <3eec4d8a@news.povray.org>
> > Version 2, 3... : (in the order you'll suggest)
> > The ability to define different steps for the wireframe and the
rendering
> ==> Priority 5.
Done in version 1 (very easy, and very convenient the redraws are very fast)

> > To have a smaller resolution around the bumps ==> hm. Not ested.
Priority
> somewhere in th middle I guess.

I'd like to put this one in version 2

> > uv_mapping texturing ==> Yes, this would be nice. Priority 1.
I'd like to put this one in version 2

>Also with exterior and interior texture definition possibility. Most shells
in nature
> are pearly white on the inside, while coloured on the outside.

Done in version 1, with a little problem : mesh2's accept an
"interior_texture", but no "material_texture", you can define texture
instead of material in Moray, but I don't know if it is possible to force
the user to select a testure and not a material for the inside. I'm yhinking
about giving a thickness to the Shell, this would solve the problem but
would multiply the parsing time by 2 !

> > Texture using the mesh2 capabilities ==> Yes, absolutely! Priority 2.
Now
> it gives an error in POV.
I don't get what kind of error you mean, by mesh2 capabilities I was
thinking of :
"To specify a texture for an individual mesh triangle, specify a single
integer texture index following the face-index vector for that triangle.
To specify three textures for vertex-texture interpolation, specify three
integer texture indices (separated by commas) following the face-index
vector for that triangle.
Vertex-texture interpolation and textures for an individual triangle can be
mixed in the same mesh"
and it is not yet in the code.

> > New functions for the structural curve ==> Priority 3.
I'd like to put this one in version 2

4.
> > New functions for the waves ==> Priority 6.
I'd like to put this one in version 3

About joining some textures (including a "the mother of all pearl"
texture ), I agree with you and I've allready asked Sylvain about that...

Cheers, and thanks for being concerned
Philippe Gibone

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Jun 2003 10:28:03
Message: <3eec8273@news.povray.org>
Philippe,
All fine concerning your priorities and comments.
Just one thing concerning the mesh2. As you know, you can make mesh2
textures in Moray 3.5 (in fact without 'material'). However, if you select
such a texture for the SeaShell, an error is generated in POV saying:

material { T <----ERROR
Parse error: no matching } in 'material', undeclared identifier 'T' found
instead

In fact, in the pov file of the scene, the mesh2 texture is defined as a
material and not as a texture (while it is so in the inc file). Ah! and
underscores are not suported (but I should have known this, I think).
If you change the POV file, the scene renders ok.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Philippe Gibone
Date: 15 Jun 2003 12:17:22
Message: <3eec9c12$1@news.povray.org>
> Just one thing concerning the mesh2. As you know, you can make mesh2
> textures in Moray 3.5 (in fact without 'material').
Sorry but I don't use Moray 3.5 yet.

In Moray 3.3 you can check 'this is a mesh2 texture', then Moray generates a
texture, not a material (not sure this is the problem, though)

Inside the lua plugin, I have no problem defining a "material" for the
"texture" of my mesh2, and a "texture" for the "interior_texture", but I
have to be carefull when I choose them !

Philippe

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Jun 2003 02:49:20
Message: <3eed6870@news.povray.org>

> In Moray 3.3 you can check 'this is a mesh2 texture', then Moray generates
> texture, not a material (not sure this is the problem, though)
==> yes it is, in the case of a mesh2 texture made in Moray: when you open
the generated pov file, you see that it is a 'material' that is called for,
with the name of a 'texture', hence the error call from POV.
Example:
TUVMesh is checked in Moray (3.3 or 3.5) as a mesh2 'texture' and so does
not bear the term 'material'.
Rendering generates an error in POV. Opening the pov file, this is what is
written:
        material { TUVMesh }
So, there is a contradiction: POV expects a 'material' but only sees a
'texture'.
Changing manually 'material' into 'texture' solves the problem. But it is a
workaround.

> Inside the lua plugin, I have no problem defining a "material" for the
> "texture" of my mesh2, and a "texture" for the "interior_texture", but I
> have to be carefull when I choose them !
==> It seems to be better to stick to 'material', but I wonder what would
happen if you develop further towards uv-mapping etc. As far as I can see in
Moray, you cannot put a 'material' on a mesh2 object, nor a mesh2 'texture'
on a regular object... This is somewhat confusing I think...

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Jun 2003 05:13:53
Message: <3eed8a51@news.povray.org>
"Philippe_Gibone" <Ph.### [at] wanadoofr> schreef in bericht
> Inside the lua plugin, I have no problem defining a "material" for the
> "texture" of my mesh2, and a "texture" for the "interior_texture", but I
> have to be carefull when I choose them !

How do you do this? I mean especially the 'interior_texture'? I experimented
a little (in Moray it is not implemented as far as I can see, I asked Lutz
if he could though) and adding the command in POV results also in errors...

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Philippe Gibone
Date: 16 Jun 2003 13:48:23
Message: <3eee02e7@news.povray.org>
Hi Thomas

I don't see the post i wrote this morning, so, I do it again, sorry if you
have allready seen it

  pov:write("interior_texture{", gsub(self.TextureInterior, "%s", "%_"),"}")
  pov:texture(gsub(self.Texture, "%s", "%_") )

The first line will generate a line in pov :
"interior_texture{TextureInterior}"
The second line will generate a line in Pov like material {Texture}

(The call to gsub avoid the spaces in the name of the texture)

But TextureInterior MUST be a texture and Texture MUST be a material (sorry
for shouting ;-)

HTH

Philippe Gibone

> "Philippe_Gibone" <Ph.### [at] wanadoofr> schreef in bericht
> > Inside the lua plugin, I have no problem defining a "material" for the
> > "texture" of my mesh2, and a "texture" for the "interior_texture", but I
> > have to be carefull when I choose them !
>
> How do you do this? I mean especially the 'interior_texture'? I
experimented
> a little (in Moray it is not implemented as far as I can see, I asked Lutz
> if he could though) and adding the command in POV results also in
errors...

> Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Jun 2003 03:12:22
Message: <3ef40556@news.povray.org>
Thanks a lot Philippe!
Just opened my mail, so have not had time to experiment further. But looks
good!
thanks for shouting  ;-))

Thomas