POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Frame of reference for car wheel animation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Frame of reference for car wheel animation (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Will Paris
Subject: Frame of reference for car wheel animation
Date: 17 Nov 2003 00:04:51
Message: <3fb856f3@news.povray.org>
Can anyone help me with animation in general and animating cars?

First things first. Thank you a bunch for any help, attention, advice,
blessings and prayers that you give. It is most appreciated.

I want animate car models so that the distance traveled reflects the
rotation speed of the wheels, as if it were actually covering the distance
of land equal to the circumference of the tire. I also want to show
realistic frame of reference for fancy rims as the cars speed up and slow
down. While I'm at it I will probably need to turn the wheels and things as
well.

I am probably going to be using a combination of open-source apps: Blender,
POV-Ray, OpenFX, trueSpace 3.2, Alice and/or Terragen. I am still learning
3D, but POV-Ray and Blender seem to be really, really great apps and great
for the price. I also have access to "Free learning" versions of commercial
apps such as Lightwave Discovery edition, Maya Personal Learning edition and
Houdini Apprentice. I also have a friend that has access to Bryce 5 and
Poser 4.

Whew! Now I'm no physics expert. But I do hold a PhD and a black belt in
ambition. If I'm tackling more than I can chew as a newbie just slap me in
da face. Otherwise let 'er rip. Feel free to hit www.willparis.com with
anything that can help.

Thank you all.

Post a reply to this message

 "Will Paris" <wil### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:

> I want animate car models so that the distance traveled reflects the
> rotation speed of the wheels, as if it were actually covering the distance
> of land equal to the circumference of the tire. I also want to show
> realistic frame of reference for fancy rims as the cars speed up and slow
> down. While I'm at it I will probably need to turn the wheels and things as
> well.

You just pretty much said what you need to do. Translate it so it
travels a distance equal to its circumference for every revolution. The
animation tutorial in the manual does just this, only with a ball
instead of a wheel. Taking changing velocity into account is a little
more complex, but not extremely so. It would be simple to do with a
simple simulation: Set up the car position with a spline. Figure out the
car's distance from its previous location, and how much the wheel should
have rotated over that distance.
I'm not sure what you are thinking of by "realistic frame of reference".

> I am probably going to be using a combination of open-source apps: Blender,
> POV-Ray, OpenFX, trueSpace 3.2, Alice and/or Terragen. I am still learning
> 3D, but POV-Ray and Blender seem to be really, really great apps and great
> for the price. I also have access to "Free learning" versions of commercial
> apps such as Lightwave Discovery edition, Maya Personal Learning edition and
> Houdini Apprentice. I also have a friend that has access to Bryce 5 and
> Poser 4.

Overkill...this can be done with a simple POV script. If you want to use
one of the other packages, this is the wrong place to ask for help using
them. Otherwise...I'm not really sure why you mentioned them.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message