POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Frame of reference for car wheel animation : Frame of reference for car wheel animation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Frame of reference for car wheel animation
From: Will Paris
Date: 17 Nov 2003 00:04:51
Message: <3fb856f3@news.povray.org>
Can anyone help me with animation in general and animating cars?

First things first. Thank you a bunch for any help, attention, advice,
blessings and prayers that you give. It is most appreciated.

I want animate car models so that the distance traveled reflects the
rotation speed of the wheels, as if it were actually covering the distance
of land equal to the circumference of the tire. I also want to show
realistic frame of reference for fancy rims as the cars speed up and slow
down. While I'm at it I will probably need to turn the wheels and things as
well.

I am probably going to be using a combination of open-source apps: Blender,
POV-Ray, OpenFX, trueSpace 3.2, Alice and/or Terragen. I am still learning
3D, but POV-Ray and Blender seem to be really, really great apps and great
for the price. I also have access to "Free learning" versions of commercial
apps such as Lightwave Discovery edition, Maya Personal Learning edition and
Houdini Apprentice. I also have a friend that has access to Bryce 5 and
Poser 4.

Whew! Now I'm no physics expert. But I do hold a PhD and a black belt in
ambition. If I'm tackling more than I can chew as a newbie just slap me in
da face. Otherwise let 'er rip. Feel free to hit www.willparis.com with
anything that can help.

Thank you all.