POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : beveled text? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  beveled text? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Daniel L  Isdell
Subject: beveled text?
Date: 3 Sep 1999 17:09:57
Message: <37d03925@news.povray.org>
Hi all,
I need a way to create beveled text. I used to use POVSB but it added the
width of the bevels to the outside of the text body so to prevent this, I
started by creating the text in Corel Draw, cearting a condensed version by
using the "contourr function to make a "skinnier" version to compensate for
the extra width added by the bevels, exporting as DXF, importing the 2D DXF
into POVSB and extruding it and adding the Bevels. OK it's an extremely
circuitious method but the results were really great, plus it allowed me to
modify the font for things like logos. However POVSB seems to have gone
away.... What other modelers do bevels text or better yet import, extrude
and bevel 2D DXF?

Thanks,
Dan Isdell

Post a reply to this message

> I need a way to create beveled text. I used to use POVSB but it added the
> width of the bevels to the outside of the text body so to prevent this, I
> started by creating the text in Corel Draw, cearting a condensed version by
> using the "contourr function to make a "skinnier" version to compensate for
> the extra width added by the bevels, exporting as DXF, importing the 2D DXF
> into POVSB and extruding it and adding the Bevels. OK it's an extremely
> circuitious method but the results were really great, plus it allowed me to
> modify the font for things like logos. However POVSB seems to have gone
> away.... What other modelers do bevels text or better yet import, extrude
> and bevel 2D DXF?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan Isdell

I recommend Soft text by Remco De Korte a regular on this server:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/softtext.html

Also see my links page for alternatives.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

> I need a way to create beveled text. I used to use POVSB but it added the
> width of the bevels to the outside of the text body so to prevent this, I
> started by creating the text in Corel Draw, cearting a condensed version by
> using the "contourr function to make a "skinnier" version to compensate for
> the extra width added by the bevels, exporting as DXF, importing the 2D DXF
> into POVSB and extruding it and adding the Bevels. OK it's an extremely
> circuitious method but the results were really great, plus it allowed me to
> modify the font for things like logos. However POVSB seems to have gone
> away.... What other modelers do bevels text or better yet import, extrude
> and bevel 2D DXF?

Elefont won't import, but it does all sorts of text beveling:

http://home.inm.ch/armin/elefont/elefont.htm

Post a reply to this message