POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV 3.1d slower?? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:33:42 EDT (-0400)
  POV 3.1d slower?? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Rick
Subject: POV 3.1d slower??
Date: 4 Mar 1999 12:45:41
Message: <36dec6c5.0@news.povray.org>
Hi all,
Is  it just me or is POV 3.1d slower than the last version?, Especially when
using rad and AA (9x9 rays)

Rick

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: POV 3.1d slower??
Date: 4 Mar 1999 12:56:19
Message: <36DEC8AD.9C796FD1@pacbell.net>
Rick wrote:

> Hi all,
> Is  it just me or is POV 3.1d slower than the last version?, Especially when
> using rad and AA (9x9 rays)
>
> Rick

  Of all the tests I ran prior to it's release the opposite was true in
all cases. While I ran no performance tests on radiosity I did casualy
run a couple files with it turned on and recall is rendered surprisingly
fast. If you are running an old 486 machine you might have suffered
a performance degradation but anybody with a pentium or better machine
should see a performance increase in several different types of rendering
situations.
  Often times if it's rendering slowly it's more related to the construction
of the scene than it is anything else. Transparent textures, multiple csg's,
and lots of reflection all take their toll on the the old render clock.
  Take a look at the test results I submitted to Chris Cason either by
looking in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions or hit the link below
to go straight to it.

http://www.povray.org/cgi-bin/dnewsweb?cmd=article&group=povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions&item=9

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

I am running on a AMD K6 233, maybe its just windoze 987, being a pig.

I have just got thwe msdos version od 3.1d, so will be rendering complex
scenes in that from pure dos, that should be much faster! - I like to start
my renders before bed, and have them ready when i get up :)

Rick

Ken wrote in message <36DEC8AD.9C796FD1@pacbell.net>...
>Rick wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> Is  it just me or is POV 3.1d slower than the last version?, Especially
when
>> using rad and AA (9x9 rays)
>>
>> Rick
>
>  Of all the tests I ran prior to it's release the opposite was true in
>all cases. While I ran no performance tests on radiosity I did casualy
>run a couple files with it turned on and recall is rendered surprisingly
>fast. If you are running an old 486 machine you might have suffered
>a performance degradation but anybody with a pentium or better machine
>should see a performance increase in several different types of rendering
>situations.
>  Often times if it's rendering slowly it's more related to the
construction
>of the scene than it is anything else. Transparent textures, multiple
csg's,
>and lots of reflection all take their toll on the the old render clock.
>  Take a look at the test results I submitted to Chris Cason either by
>looking in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions or hit the link below
>to go straight to it.
>
>http://www.povray.org/cgi-bin/dnewsweb?cmd=article&group=povray.announce.fr
equently-asked-questions&item=9

>--
>Ken Tyler
>
>mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

I am curious, just how much faster does the DOS version render? Can anyone
give me an approximate percentage? After all, a scene that takes 20 hours
being rendered in 19 hours really makes no difference. It would need to be
20-50 percent faster to really impact.

On the subject, what about the Linux version?

Thanks
Gordon
<gbentley#birdcameron.com.au>