POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV 3.1d slower?? : Re: POV 3.1d slower?? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.1d slower??
From: Ken
Date: 8 Mar 1999 22:55:28
Message: <36E49AF9.C2797501@pacbell.net>
Gordon wrote:

> I am curious, just how much faster does the DOS version render? Can anyone
> give me an approximate percentage? After all, a scene that takes 20 hours
> being rendered in 19 hours really makes no difference. It would need to be
> 20-50 percent faster to really impact.
>
> On the subject, what about the Linux version?
>
> Thanks
> Gordon
> <gbentley#birdcameron.com.au>

I have heard conflicting reports on this issue. Personaly I have experimented
a bit but could not detect enough of a difference to warrent installing a dos
version. You might take a look at the Pov benchmark page and see if anybody
has posted comparson times for the same machine using the different versions.
There is a lot of data available there if you have the time to sift through
it all.

http://www.haveland.com/povbench/

--
Ken Tyler