POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POVWin Images Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  POVWin Images (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: mdmdc0
Subject: POVWin Images
Date: 5 Mar 1999 12:41:57
Message: <36E01772.13B30758@postoffice2.bellatlantic.net>
Greetings.
I've been using 3.1d now for... three weeks?  And it took me almost that
long to find out where the BMPs were being saved on my hard drive.
It seems (as far as i can tell) that when installed, POVWin searches all
available hard drives for an \Images directory.  I have 3 logical
partitions (C,D,E).  I only have one \Images dir, D:\Text\Images.
That's where POVWin put them.  Why, I don't know, but i'm not going to
change it; the 20 some megs I have of BMPs is safer there than on my C
drive.  I don't know if that's just a quirk in the installation, or
what.
Michael

Post a reply to this message

mdm### [at] postoffice2bellatlanticnet wrote:

> Greetings.
> I've been using 3.1d now for... three weeks?  And it took me almost that
> long to find out where the BMPs were being saved on my hard drive.
> It seems (as far as i can tell) that when installed, POVWin searches all
> available hard drives for an \Images directory.  I have 3 logical
> partitions (C,D,E).  I only have one \Images dir, D:\Text\Images.
> That's where POVWin put them.  Why, I don't know, but i'm not going to
> change it; the 20 some megs I have of BMPs is safer there than on my C
> drive.  I don't know if that's just a quirk in the installation, or
> what.
> Michael

   There is an option during the installation process where you are
 given a choice of where images are written to. I believe the choices
 are in the directory where your .pov file resides or optionaly a single
 image directory or your designation which pov will then add all images
 to. The default is to place them where the individual .pov files are.
 I presumed you choose the non default option and missed the importance
 of it at the time of the installation.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

I didn't know POV-Ray would find any Images folder it found to use as
the output directory. I already had a C:\Images when I first installed
the Windows version so it never occured to me how it did the search, I
just thought it also looked to make the same name as an option and since
it existed I said use the same.
Curious it would find a subdirectory like in your case and suggest it.

Ken wrote:

> mdm### [at] postoffice2bellatlanticnet wrote:
> >
> > Greetings.
> > I've been using 3.1d now for... three weeks?  And it took me almost that
> > long to find out where the BMPs were being saved on my hard drive.
> > It seems (as far as i can tell) that when installed, POVWin searches all
> > available hard drives for an \Images directory.  I have 3 logical
> > partitions (C,D,E).  I only have one \Images dir, D:\Text\Images.
> > That's where POVWin put them.  Why, I don't know, but i'm not going to
> > change it; the 20 some megs I have of BMPs is safer there than on my C
> > drive.  I don't know if that's just a quirk in the installation, or
> > what.
> > Michael
>
>    There is an option during the installation process where you are
>  given a choice of where images are written to. I believe the choices
>  are in the directory where your .pov file resides or optionaly a single
>  image directory or your designation which pov will then add all images
>  to. The default is to place them where the individual .pov files are.
>  I presumed you choose the non default option and missed the importance
>  of it at the time of the installation.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
 mailto:inv### [at] aolcom?PoV

Post a reply to this message

mdm### [at] postoffice2bellatlanticnet wrote:

>available hard drives for an \Images directory.  I have 3 logical
>partitions (C,D,E).  I only have one \Images dir, D:\Text\Images.
>That's where POVWin put them.  Why, I don't know, but i'm not going to

To my knowledge, It doesn't do anything like that. The default is c:\images
(and that's only if you choose to have a default directory - otherwise it uses
the directory of the .pov file).

The installer program has not been instructed to do anything else unless you
tell it to. If it did then I'd be most surprised (it'd have to be a bug in
Wise).

Post a reply to this message

>    There is an option during the installation process where you are
>  given a choice of where images are written to.

I must have just super-clicked.

> I presumed you choose the non default option and missed the importanceof it
> at the time of the installation.

I probably did; I had assumed it would put everything together.

Thanks Ken.
Michael