POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Re: INFO: what is a histogram? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: INFO: what is a histogram? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Re: INFO: what is a histogram?
Date: 1 Jan 1999 06:31:04
Message: <368CB1E9.C8EDFF87@aol.com>
As Thorsten pointed out, the documentation says it all.
Summed up:
it allows for a visual representation of computation "intensity" of the
scene being rendered; and since it is a red/green (no blue) image it's
suggested use is for height fields, though getting a scene together for
one in this way is not exactly easy to shape if you want to form a
height field.
Other than that, I haven't seen any other uses myself.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
=Bob

Post a reply to this message

> As Thorsten pointed out, the documentation says it all.
> Summed up:
> it allows for a visual representation of computation "intensity" of the
> scene being rendered; and since it is a red/green (no blue) image it's
> suggested use is for height fields, though getting a scene together for
> one in this way is not exactly easy to shape if you want to form a
> height field.
> Other than that, I haven't seen any other uses myself.

Well, it is nice to know what parts of a complex scene it is that takes most
resources...
I've done it many times, to try and find out where to add some variables to speed up
test
rendering... (#if(fast=true) #else #end)

//Spider

Post a reply to this message

>> As Thorsten pointed out, the documentation says it all.
>> Summed up:
>> it allows for a visual representation of computation "intensity" of the
>> scene being rendered; and since it is a red/green (no blue) image it's
>> suggested use is for height fields, though getting a scene together for
>> one in this way is not exactly easy to shape if you want to form a
>> height field.
>> Other than that, I haven't seen any other uses myself.

If the information is output to a .CSV file, you can then input that file into
a program that handles distributed rendering. It can use the information giving
which parts of the output image are more processor-intensive to work out a more
optimal sub-division in terms of which CPU's render which bits.

Post a reply to this message