POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Feature Request: Custom Template Converter Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Feature Request: Custom Template Converter (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Daniel A K  Halsey
Subject: Feature Request: Custom Template Converter
Date: 14 Oct 1998 15:57:38
Message: <3624f422.0@news.povray.org>
I've been away from the POV-Ray scene (terrible pun, but not initially
intended; please forgive me) for a while, and just installed the new Windows
version.  I love the new editor (feels more like a true development
environment now), but was kind of disappointed to find that I couldn't
automatically bring in my old customized template.

On that note, I'd like to request a converter for the old template. (as per
the notice in the changes.txt file, which I hope is still valid)

I noticed in "changes.txt" that the Insert menu had been changed from the
old style to a set of individual text files.  While this makes it much
easier to generate encapsulated insertion files, I miss the layout control
and unified modification capabilities of the old template.

The mod caps I can get over (I like hard-tabs, and a search and replace is
much easier to do on a single file, but I think the benefit of encapsulation
outweighs this minor gripe), but I'd like to be able to rearrange the
sub-menus and their contents to represent some (non-alpha) logical order
(Headers -> Light Sources -> Expressions -> Shapes, etc.) without resorting
to adding prefixes to the directory and file names (00_Headers -> 01_Light
Sources...).  I guess the best example of this would be the IE4 Bookmarks
directory, wherein, sections and bookmarks can be rearranged, but are kept
in a directory (folder) rather than the Netscape/old template-style single
file.

Thanks, Chris, and the rest of the POV-Team, for an excellent update.
(Thanks also for keeping the Alt-C and Alt-G keys the same)

Sorry if my post is a bit messy, but I tend to write in the same way that I
think...
(Also: I assumed this was the right ng, as opposed to p.bugreports, since
it's not a bug)

Thanks,
Daniel A.K. Halsey

Post a reply to this message

I too have a customized 3.02 Insert Menu template file.
I wondered how many people would have to nag (heh-heh) about this convertor
that's  mentioned. I didn't want to seem pushy about getting this right away
(if it is indeed possible at all). Figured I would need time with 3.1 before
editing the Insert Menu again anyway.
Since so much does work the same as before though, and my 3.02 template is
quite extensive, this "convertor" would be a great thing.

Well, there's 2 asking....

Message <3624f422.0@news.povray.org>, Daniel A.K. Halsey  typed...

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe