POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : New editor Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:28:38 EDT (-0400)
  New editor (Message 17 to 26 of 46)
From: K  Tyler
Subject: Re: New editor
Date: 30 Aug 1998 16:30:54
Message: <35E9A7F9.5C9D3914@pacbell.net>
Philippe Debar wrote:

> SUGGESTIONS
One addition from me. Return start/stop rendering option
to right click menu.

> * ability to select and copy text in message window

agreed

**Also allow arrow key scrolling in main message window

>   redo - ctrl+y

Leave ctrl+y alone It's fine the way it is.

> * toolbars are a bit too big. I would redesign them this
>   way if I could: move two help buttons to the 'main'
>   toolbar, remove the CD's and web sites buttons (but keep the
>   corresponding commands in the Help menu) and remove the
>   pretty but totally useless render animation.

I agree.

BUT I suspect that the pov team has their own agenda
for having them where they are. The cost of maintaining the
POV-Ray home page and running their own news server is
expensive. I suspect they are trying make it easier for people
to access and remember the locations of products and companies
that help with financial support for these wonderful privileges
and if that's the case I for one can live with it.

> * does anybody use the 'overwrite' mode? What is it useful
>   for? If nobody use this, I would gladly see it disappear,
>   as I am always confused whenever I turn it on - always
>   by accident.

Yes I use it and please leave it alone

> * move 'older files' at the end of the file list

No ! No! No ! Leave it alone. I keep several .inc files open at all times
which allows easy cut and paste of common statements.
I don't want them moving all over the place. I like them stationary
and left were and in what order I put them.

> * a better and clearer structure for the help

Yep !
Which is to say I really liked the help system in
POV-Ray 3.0x and the new help system is confusing
and difficult to navigate. If I have to RTFM I need to
find the information so I don't have to ask stupid questions.
If anything return to a single scrollable help file instead
of a page to page style in use now.

> Sincerely,
> Philippe

K.Tyler

Post a reply to this message

>Leave ctrl+y alone It's fine the way it is.

Yes, that's why I concluded with 'can't we really change
*all* shorcuts, please, mister Pov; pleeaasse'

>BUT I suspect that the pov team has their own agenda
>for having them where they are. The cost of maintaining the
>POV-Ray home page and running their own news server is
>expensive. I suspect they are trying make it easier for people
>to access and remember the locations of products and companies
>that help with financial support for these wonderful privileges
>and if that's the case I for one can live with it.

As I do not have network access on my computer,
each time I press the button mistakenly (once or twice a day),
I get this ******* MS connection wizard.
But if it mean supporting the pov team, thay can put as many
buttons as they want, I'll accept them gladly.

>> * does anybody use the 'overwrite' mode?
>Yes I use it and please leave it alone

Well, that's what question are for. Without any irony of any
sort, what do you use it for? I did never find any case where
it would be usefull... and I'm always open to a new editing
technique (even more if it means I'll gain time).

>> * move 'older files' at the end of the file list
>No ! No! No ! Leave it alone.
Well, I do not use it (yet) - so you surely know better. But
I am not sure we understood each other perfectly: I meant
'move the older file commant just above the exit command',
(this was my orderly self speaking), and not as my message
read 'move the content of...' Well, anyway, I am bickering;-)

Good night everybody, sleep tight!

Philippe

Post a reply to this message

From: Dan Connelly
Date: 30 Aug 1998 17:15:49
Message: <35E9B2EA.EF75B1E1@flash.net>
povray.org admin team wrote:

> >1. Indent-line indent-region and indent-buffer :
> >   automatically set indentation of a line, region,
> >   or the entire buffer
>
> What exactly do you refer to here ? You can block-indent an entire selection if
> you want (just as easily as the entire buffer since there's a select all key).
> So I presume you mean something else ?

Err.... I missed this one.

I would deserve a RTFM, except there is no M yet :).

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/

Post a reply to this message

From: povray org admin team
Date: 30 Aug 1998 21:25:29
Message: <35e9ed29.493269@news.povray.org>
>Err.... I missed this one.
>
>I would deserve a RTFM, except there is no M yet :).

It's always a good idea to spend time inspecting the menus and options dialogs
of a new program (that's what I always do, even before I look at the manual).
Menu captions can be most informative :)

Post a reply to this message

From: povray org admin team
Date: 30 Aug 1998 21:33:36
Message: <35eaee8a.846657@news.povray.org>
>Yes, that's why I concluded with 'can't we really change
>*all* shorcuts, please, mister Pov; pleeaasse'

it's very difficult to do that. the shortcut assigments that you can
change are only the ones managed by the editor common control. we have
no way of adding to them (apart from modifying the source to cmax101.dll,
which would be a hassle). and we don't see it as being logical to have
TWO dialogs for setting shortcuts (one for us, one for the editor).

Post a reply to this message

From: K  Tyler
Date: 30 Aug 1998 22:03:31
Message: <35E9F5F1.C88D004C@pacbell.net>
Philippe Debar wrote:

> Hello again
>
> >> * does anybody use the 'overwrite' mode?
> >Yes I use it and please leave it alone
>
> Well, that's what question are for. Without any irony of any
> sort, what do you use it for? I did never find any case where
> it would be usefull... and I'm always open to a new editing
> technique (even more if it means I'll gain time).

I have a line of code that says translate<333.001,555.557,1.001>and I want to
change to translate<444,222.557,1.111> instead
of highlighting it, deleteing it, and retyping it or hitting the delete key
9 times and retyping it I use the overwrite mode and with 9 keystrokes
I'm done. Saves wear and tear on my decrepit old body.

> >> * move 'older files' at the end of the file list
> >No ! No! No ! Leave it alone.
> Well, I do not use it (yet) - so you surely know better. But
> I am not sure we understood each other perfectly: I meant
> 'move the older file commant just above the exit command',
> (this was my orderly self speaking), and not as my message
> read 'move the content of...' Well, anyway, I am bickering;-)

Sorry I thought you were referring to the open file windowsand not the menu file
history log.

> Good night everybody, sleep tight!

ZZZzzzzz  !

> Philippe

K.Tyler

Post a reply to this message

From: Dan Connelly
Date: 30 Aug 1998 22:05:24
Message: <35E9F6CE.1FFC5519@flash.net>
povray.org admin team wrote:

> >Err.... I missed this one.
> >
> >I would deserve a RTFM, except there is no M yet :).
>
> It's always a good idea to spend time inspecting the menus and options dialogs
> of a new program (that's what I always do, even before I look at the manual).
> Menu captions can be most informative :)

Okay, RTFMAOD, then :).

Thanks for the correction,
Dan

Post a reply to this message

From: povray org admin team
Date: 30 Aug 1998 23:20:28
Message: <35ea0837.7419658@news.povray.org>
Dan Connelly <djc### [at] flashnet> wrote:

>povray.org admin team wrote:
>>
>> >Err.... I missed this one.
>> >
>> >I would deserve a RTFM, except there is no M yet :).
>>
>> It's always a good idea to spend time inspecting the menus and options dialogs
>> of a new program (that's what I always do, even before I look at the manual).
>> Menu captions can be most informative :)
>
>Okay, RTFMAOD, then :).
>
>Thanks for the correction,

To make things a bit easier, the Selection menu (off the Edit menu) has now
been changed so as to not be disabled when there's no selection. So you can pop
it up any time ; the individual items are disabled instead. This will make menu
exploration a bit easier for other users in the future.

Post a reply to this message

From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 31 Aug 1998 00:54:57
Message: <35ea1c43.171513624@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 30 Aug 1998 20:41:29 +0200, "Philippe Debar"
<phi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>  redo - ctrl+y
I've always thought the standard for redo was shift-alt-backspace.

>  close - ctrl+w
This is, of course, ctrl-f4.  Just because other apps can't follow the
published UI guidelines is no reason for POV to follow suit.

>  print - ctrl+p
People print POV source?

>* a better and clearer structure for the help
I hadn't noticed that big a difference between the new (beta 5) help
structure and the old (3.01) help structure.  Did it change again in
beta 6? (I haven't looked and don't have beta 6 at home yet.)

>(2) The editor behaviour which permits to select where
>there aren't any character is really great. But a normal
>text editor behaviour (like the last one) is more
>convenient most of the time (I kinda checked this, I
>watched myself working).

I find "normal" behaviour annoying.  Here's the situation that annoys
me the most: I'm sitting in the middle of a long line that is
identical in structure to another long line, as in the following code
snippet:

sphere { <.333,.666,.999> .576 texture {color Red}};

sphere { <.888,.444,.333> .733 texture {color Green}};

I've just changed the radius in the first line to .576.  I want to
cursor down to the next line and change the radius there as well.
Nope, doesn't work.  Cursoring through the blank line moves the cursor
to the 'home' position and *^&#%@ leaves it there when I cursor to the
next line.

Post a reply to this message

From: K  Tyler
Date: 31 Aug 1998 01:04:03
Message: <35EA2043.D46C836C@pacbell.net>
Ronald L. Parker wrote:

> I find "normal" behaviour annoying.  Here's the situation that annoys
> me the most: I'm sitting in the middle of a long line that is
> identical in structure to another long line, as in the following code
> snippet:
>
> sphere { <.333,.666,.999> .576 texture {color Red}};
>
> sphere { <.888,.444,.333> .733 texture {color Green}};
>
> I've just changed the radius in the first line to .576.  I want to
> cursor down to the next line and change the radius there as well.
> Nope, doesn't work.  Cursoring through the blank line moves the cursor
> to the 'home' position and *^&#%@ leaves it there when I cursor to the
> next line.

  Then you definatly should download beta6. It don't *^&#%@
do that no more no more.