POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Slackware 8.0 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:50 EDT (-0400)
  Slackware 8.0 (Message 11 to 19 of 19)
From: Adrien Beau
Subject: Re: Slackware 8.0
Date: 17 Jul 2001 05:14:35
Message: <3B5401F5.539C6EBD@sycomore.fr>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> So you have very "standard" hardware?  Last summer I installed a Linux just
> for "fun".  It was no fun and took much longer than a Windows NT install.

I found that Windows 2000 installs easily take as much time
as Linux ones. At least 45 minutes, and I've installed it
enough times to know that this is a good estimate. Plus
16 minutes to read the 4 boot disks. Yes, that's four minutes
per boot disk. Doh!

> In particular I missed any useful documentation.

This can be a problem at boot time, if you don't have a
hard-printed manual or another computer up and running.
Better plan it ahead and print some...

Once installed, take a look a /usr/doc (Slackware has
several hundreds of megabytes of *text* documents),
especially /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTO. Those are great. Also
http://www.linuxdoc.org/ which hosts the howtos and
also several free good books.

> Nothing was straight
> forward as one would expect and it would never keep its TCP/IP configuration

At least I can say it never occured to me on Slackware.
Never had to touch anything TCP/IP-related after initial
setup.

> So my major concern is if it makes sense to install a system in less than an
> hour and have it up and running well.  I wouldn't even need X-windows, I
> just need it to boot quickly and it should be easy to turn on/off what I
> want with some tool rather than hacking configuration files.

Well, a basic Slackware could do. Or ZipSlack, since you won't
need any partition (just unzip, edit the batch file, and run
from DOS).

Expect to edit one or two files (or change their execution
authorization with chmod) if you want to turn on/off things.

> It has to be
> fool-proof because I never read any documentation...

You'll have a hard-time then. A minimum reading (or
online-forum browsing) is needed.

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs

Post a reply to this message