POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Slackware 8.0 : Re: Slackware 8.0 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slackware 8.0
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 18 Jul 2001 18:34:46
Message: <3b560f06@news.povray.org>
In article <knb8ltg4qaj4kjbraeidm311p39goo3k4v@4ax.com> , Peter Popov
<pet### [at] vipbg>  wrote:

>>In particular I missed any useful documentation.
>
> How so?

Well, I did a custom install to keep it small, but couldn't figure out what
to install other than man pages.

>>and it would never keep its TCP/IP configuration
>
> Odd. That sounds interesting. Any details?

Very simple.  The system was supposed to use two network connections.  One
was Ethernet, the other ISDN.  Now, on the Ethernet the IP address was
supposed to be static.  I got that to work without problems.  However, this
way it would refuse to connect via isdn to anything because it would have
needed a second (dynamic) IP address.  It would always and only use the
static one.  Switching to dynamic on both ports worked, but made the system
useless as a network server for me.

The distro was Suse which supposedly comes with very good ISDN support
because isdn is very popular in Germany.

> You'll run Linux on an emulated PC on a Mac? Wow... must be a hell of
> an emulator!

Virtual PC from Connectix.  It is very fast because it uses a kind of just
in time compilation of the emulated code.  I can get POV-Ray to more than
80% of the native Mac version speed.  One only has to turn off any preview
because the graphic emulation is really slow compared to "native" graphics
cards.  And that makes it such a good server for me.  I don't want X windows
- it would just slow the emulation down.

There are other tricks I can play, like running multiple PCs at the same
time.  It would be good for developing network rendering one day...

>>I wouldn't even need X-windows, I just need it to boot quickly and it should
>>be easy to turn on/off what I want with some tool rather than hacking
>>configuration files.
>
> What would you need to start / stop? Daemons? Servers?

Apache, PHP, MySQL, and an ftp client.  Nothing else, it should boot as fast
as possible to I can turn it on on demand (the emulator consumes lots of
memory).

> Seriously, if you want to set it up for serious work, you'll have to
> read some. Usually the HOWTOs are enough.

I know that I would have to read some docs, but I don't have the time or
patience for that because as said, I don't want to learn Linux, I just want
a simple little web server test environment.  It wouldn't even have to be
secure (it would be visible in the internet) as I can just make backup
copies of the harddisk image file the emulator uses.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde