POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Slackware 8.0 : Re: Slackware 8.0 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slackware 8.0
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 17 Jul 2001 06:12:53
Message: <3b540fa5@news.povray.org>
In article <3B5402D7.25F437E2@sycomore.fr> , Adrien Beau
<adr### [at] sycomorefr>  wrote:

>> The average Mac OS takes 10 minutes ;-)  But seriously, 45 minutes for Linux
>> sounds good.  I assume it doesn't require much manual tweaking either?
>
> I don't believe it. Or the files are already on the hard-disk
> and you only need to do the setup? Simply copying the files
> from a CD-Rom should take more than that.

No.  Mac OS 9 is about 200 MB full install.  The files are copied from CD to
disk using an installer application.  It is a manual configuration which
installs everything but Java.  If you calculate it, it is actually not very
fast considering that the CD-ROM drives can read more than 2 MB/s.

Of course, for fairness I have to say that just like with Windows there are
no applications installed.  But then again, most applications are installed
by just dragging and dropping the application from CD to disk (even for MS
Office).

As you can see, I am very used to non-command line interfaces and fool-proof
installs, so Jaime Vives Piqueres is probably right and its not for me.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde