POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor Server Time
16 Jun 2024 18:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  In search of a good editor (Message 11 to 20 of 35)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: In search of a good editor
Date: 20 Mar 2007 14:00:03
Message: <etpamp$ua0$1@chho.imagico.de>
Philippe Debar wrote:
> [...]
>
> Should really using (or wanting to use) a specialized tool be considered
> an heresy?

No but i offered an explanation why an editor specialized for POV-Ray
does not exist (at least not a mature and broadly used one).

If you really want to experience the different philosophy of Unix you
might try doing things the Unix way if you find Unix does not offer the
Windows way and you have the impression of "typical linux fragmentation".

And there are perfectly normal people who use a text editor to write
code, letters, books, web pages.  This isn't insane, this is just a
different way of doing things.

Just for giving some hints why people might actually prefer using
something different then the WinPOV internal editor:

- if you like to use different versions of POV-Ray (official, MegapPOV,
...) you have to open several instances of the editor.  If you want to
try rendering a scene you happen to edit in official POV in MegaPOV you...
- if you like to run several renders at the same time (either on the
same or on different computers) you have to open another editor instance
for each.
- you might like to be able to do a render with the same options used 3
render tests ago without actually remembering which options you used
back then and without extracting them from the logs.
- you might want to render a dozen scenes one after the other without
clicking through a file dialog a dozen times.

These are just some examples of advantages you have with *any* editor.

>  > Your list of requirements can be split into two parts: 1) general editor
>  > features, most advanced editors offer these.  2) POV-Ray specific
>  > requirements, most general purpose editors won't offer those.  And for
>  > some (like a pause function) there isn't even support in POV-Ray.
>
> Will there be?

Most likely not since suspending running processes is a task for the
operating system and not for the process to do itself.

Christoph

--
Views of the Earth: http://earth.imagico.de/
Images, include files, tutorials: http://www.imagico.de/