POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor : Re: In search of a good editor Server Time
26 Jun 2024 01:45:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In search of a good editor
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 21 Mar 2007 04:50:31
Message: <4600ffe7$1@news.povray.org>

> Philippe Debar wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> Should really using (or wanting to use) a specialized tool be
>> considered an heresy?
>
> No but i offered an explanation why an editor specialized for POV-Ray
> does not exist (at least not a mature and broadly used one).

I am sorry. I overreacted and misunderstood your statements. And I
should not have brought my bad temper here. Sorry.

I'll refrain from dragging this thread to OT...

> If you really want to experience the different philosophy of Unix you
> might try doing things the Unix way if you find Unix does not offer the
> Windows way and you have the impression of "typical linux fragmentation".
>
> And there are perfectly normal people who use a text editor to write
> code, letters, books, web pages.  This isn't insane, this is just a
> different way of doing things.
>
> Just for giving some hints why people might actually prefer using
> something different then the WinPOV internal editor:
>
> - if you like to use different versions of POV-Ray (official, MegapPOV,
> ....) you have to open several instances of the editor.  If you want to
> try rendering a scene you happen to edit in official POV in MegaPOV you...

Never thought of that.

> - if you like to run several renders at the same time (either on the
> same or on different computers) you have to open another editor instance
> for each.

This never bothered me, but I agree it is wasting (some) resources.

> - you might like to be able to do a render with the same options used 3
> render tests ago without actually remembering which options you used
> back then and without extracting them from the logs.

I tend to paste them in comments in my scene and just tell the editor to
use that option line. Or use ini files.

> - you might want to render a dozen scenes one after the other without
> clicking through a file dialog a dozen times.

No problem, I use the queue option.

But anyway if I want to do any of these, I can always use the CLI. IMO,
The fact that you can do all this - and more - with the shell does not
mean that these features are valueless in the IDE.

> These are just some examples of advantages you have with *any* editor.
>
>>  > Your list of requirements can be split into two parts: 1) general
>> editor
>>  > features, most advanced editors offer these.  2) POV-Ray specific
>>  > requirements, most general purpose editors won't offer those.  And for
>>  > some (like a pause function) there isn't even support in POV-Ray.
>>
>> Will there be?
>
> Most likely not since suspending running processes is a task for the
> operating system and not for the process to do itself.

Agreed, but couldn't the editor provide a pause function that calls the
OS one?

BTW, I think I'll try (again) to grok (X)Emacs. Wish me luck ;)

Povingly,

Philippe