POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor : Re: In search of a good editor Server Time
26 Jun 2024 01:43:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In search of a good editor
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Mar 2007 07:22:35
Message: <4601238b$1@news.povray.org>
Philippe Debar schrieb:
> [...]
>
> But anyway if I want to do any of these, I can always use the CLI.

Well - you can't with WinPOV.  The point is having the choice - this is
what Unix is all about.

> Agreed, but couldn't the editor provide a pause function that calls the
> OS one?

Sure it could, but - as with various other features there has not been
sufficient need to add such a feature to any editor i know of apparently.

If you think a bit about it - there is very rarely a need for actually
pausing a render.  If you have another task that is more urgent the best
way (apart from stopping the render) is to set priorities accordingly
('renice').  The wish to actually completely suspend a render probably
results from the common (but wrong) assumption that a computer is
inefficient if occupied with several tasks simultaneously (in most cases
it is more that those operating the computer have troubles with that ;-)).

> BTW, I think I'll try (again) to grok (X)Emacs. Wish me luck ;)

That's of course one of the tougher choices (but not a bad one).

-- Christoph