POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : linux video encoder Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:53:57 EDT (-0400)
  linux video encoder (Message 10 to 19 of 19)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Re: linux video encoder
Date: 21 Jun 2005 12:55:01
Message: <web.42b845f12f8f4c6040d56c170@news.povray.org>
Aside from the GUI issue, I also have to compile what I d/l'ed, correct?
Was stumped there too.

> Ross' suggestion is a great one - http://www.freshmeat.net is a great
> resource.  I also usually search sourceforge (http://www.sf.net), though I
> find its search is a bit more difficult to use.
>
> Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Ross
Date: 21 Jun 2005 13:13:10
Message: <42b84aa6$1@news.povray.org>
"gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> Aside from the GUI issue, I also have to compile what I d/l'ed, correct?
> Was stumped there too.

If you downloaded the source, then yes. If you can find prebuilt packages,
then nope. Kanotix is a debian based distribution as far as I can tell. the
first thing I would try is doing "apt-get install mplayer". that will try to
look into the package repositories you have set in /etc/apt/sources.list

if it doesn't work, you will need to add new repositories to
/etc/apt/sources.list. take a look at that file, it's usually well commented
and might have repositories that you can simply uncomment. after doing that
or manually entering a new repository, you will need to run "apt-get update"
which will query the repositories for available packages. then, again try
"apt-get install mplayer". presuming you have the correct repositories
specified, it will find mplayer and it's dependencies, then install them.
mencoder should be a part of the mplayer package, if not, try "apt-get
install mencoder" for kicks, but i don't know if that works or is necessary.

apt-get is usefull for installing binary packages so you don't have to
compile them on your own.

alternately, you could find debian .deb packages somewhere online, download
them, and install them with the "dpkg" command. if i remember correctly, the
command would be something like "dpkg -i mplayer.deb" or whatever the actual
downloaded .deb package is called. This process should also check to see if
you have the needed dependencies in place, but won't automatically resolve
those dependencies.

good luck!
ross

Post a reply to this message

I downlaod a  blah.tgz    or blah.tar.gz.
I then say Extract to new directory named blah
I then got a lot of garbage-- it looks like a bunch of libraries and man,
po, src, etc, CVS subdirectories but no bloody app!  What's the deal??

"Ross" <rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote in message
> "gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
>> Aside from the GUI issue, I also have to compile what I d/l'ed, correct?
>> Was stumped there too.
>>

> If you downloaded the source, then yes. If you can find prebuilt packages,
> then nope. Kanotix is a debian based distribution as far as I can tell.
> the
> first thing I would try is doing "apt-get install mplayer". that will try
> look into the package repositories you have set in /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> if it doesn't work, you will need to add new repositories to
> /etc/apt/sources.list. take a look at that file, it's usually well
> commented
> and might have repositories that you can simply uncomment. after doing
> that
> or manually entering a new repository, you will need to run "apt-get
> update"
> which will query the repositories for available packages. then, again try
> "apt-get install mplayer". presuming you have the correct repositories
> specified, it will find mplayer and it's dependencies, then install them.
> mencoder should be a part of the mplayer package, if not, try "apt-get
> install mencoder" for kicks, but i don't know if that works or is
> necessary.
>
> apt-get is usefull for installing binary packages so you don't have to
> compile them on your own.
>
> alternately, you could find debian .deb packages somewhere online,
> download
> them, and install them with the "dpkg" command. if i remember correctly,
> the
> command would be something like "dpkg -i mplayer.deb" or whatever the
> actual
> downloaded .deb package is called. This process should also check to see
> if
> you have the needed dependencies in place, but won't automatically resolve
> those dependencies.
>
> good luck!
> ross

Post a reply to this message