POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : linux video encoder : Re: linux video encoder Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: linux video encoder
From: Bonsai
Date: 22 Jun 2005 02:20:17
Message: <42b90321$1@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> Okay, here's a question.
> I find an interesting program at sourceforge.net
> I downlaod a  blah.tgz    or blah.tar.gz.
> I then say Extract to new directory named blah
> I then got a lot of garbage-- it looks like a bunch of libraries and man,
> po, src, etc, CVS subdirectories but no bloody app!  What's the deal??

Normaly the following commands should do the job:

    ./configure
    make
    make install

The last one you have to do as root. With this method you loose the
advantage of the apt-system to smoothly remove the application if it's
not needed anymore. Sometimes a "make uninstall" is available.

Anyway the best was is to find a debian package for installing.

Just my two eurocents,

Bonsai

--

        www.b0n541.net